Dosing with Coppersafe in QT. How often to do water changes?

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i already have two clowns and a coral beauty in my QT. About to start dosing with coppersafe.
Going to bring it up to 2.0-2.5 in 48 hours, i got a Hanna HR checker.

But my question is, how shall i do water changes?

I know with the 3 of them in a 10 gallon tank, the ammonia will probably get pretty high within the 30 day treatment period.

Would it be best to have some premixed water that already has a copper level of 2.0-2.5?

or shall i just add the new water and bring the level back up to 2.0-2.5 in another 48 hours?

i do have an extra brute that i could just add roughly 8-9 gallons of water in and get the copper level to around the same and then change the water, thinking this might be the best scenario, just wondering how you all do it. since this is my first time establishing a QT tank and process.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not avoid ammonia in the first place? Just add a big bottle of cycling bacteria and a biosponge (in some filter setup). That way you don't have to worry.

When you do a water change, have the water already at the right ppm. If the copper level drops, you risk disease

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not avoid ammonia in the first place? Just add a big bottle of cycling bacteria and a biosponge (in some filter setup). That way you don't have to worry.

When you do a water change, have the water already at the right ppm. If the copper level drops, you risk disease
What do you use for cycling bacteria? I honestly didn't think about that option. Lol.

I do already have them in the tank and did my first dose last night.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use for cycling bacteria? I honestly didn't think about that option. Lol.

I do already have them in the tank and did my first dose last night.

Any of the nitrifying bacteria bottles on the market should work. Fritz, dr tims, microbacter 7/xlm, bio spira, etc. should all work

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back