Dosing?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came up on a nice score. Shop that I have been dealing with for a while is closing down. Owner text me that he's done and come get all this free coral. In the bunch was a ricordia, lots of GSP, some hammers, leathers, palys, and xenia. This puts me up around 30 different coral or so. All of which are softies and LPS. Haven't ventured into sps yet because I dont want the hassle of dosing and checking readings everyday. I just dont have the free time. My question is are there things I should be dosing now for just the coral I have? I use the red sea coral salt but only bother doing water changes about once a month or so. My readings are usually pretty steady and I just swap water because I feel like I should. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like my coral to thrive and grow like crazy but need to find a happy medium where I don't have to check readings every day but still give what they need.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you only have softies it’s not as important but the hammer will use some nutrients up since it’s lps
What I would reccomend is checking the parameters once a week for a month and recording the results
If things like calcium and alkalinity go down you need to dose

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So calcium and alk should be the only ones to watch? Just want to make sure I shouldn't invest in trace elements or something

ReefingBliss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 5 mushrooms and maybe 10-12 palys and zoas with anywhere from 4-12 heads. I don't know why but I have to dose about 50ml of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and B to stay stable. Run my tank at about 8.5 Dkh and 430 Cal. My tank is about 7mths old and I am getting great growth on everything and lots of red and purple coraline algae. I did just add a 3 head hammer and a clam and have noticed a small drop in Cal and Magnesium.

ReefingBliss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a doser reefbreeder does a nice one for about 250 shipped 4 pumps with reservoir

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should only need dosing if water changes aren’t keeping up.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back