Dottyback not eating, and pineapple sponge outbreak

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things I am needing help with. I knew what a dottyback was but not what they required care wise. My LFS told me that an orchid dottyback would be happy in my tank and fit in perfectly so I did every reefers worst nightmare and bought it impulsively. After getting home and researching I found out they need 30 gallon tank and I just put one in my 13.5 with 2 other fish… now it is hiding in 1 spot, not eating, and is very very timid (I thought dottyback were mean but I guess not this one). I want to take the best possible care of it that I can until I upgrade this summer. Is there anything I can do to make sure it stays happy and healthy?

Secondly, I have an outbreak of pineapple sponge in my tank on the main rock strut that I cannot move. Is there an invert that will eat them and how should I go about removal?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pineapple sponges ebb and flow and will likely dissappear on their own, in time.

Take the dotty-back. If it isn't eating it will slowly starve, or else get really hungry and then eat one of your other fishes. :cool:

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pineapple sponges ebb and flow and will likely dissappear on their own, in time.

Take the dotty-back. If it isn't eating it will slowly starve, or else get really hungry and then eat one of your other fishes. :cool:
The dotty has been in the tank less than 24 hours, and my other fish are 2 (getting meaner) clowns so they’d eat it before it tried anything funny should i give it a week to see if it eats and watch for bad behavior. It seems to be the most timid fish I’ve ever gotten…

The tank was also very bad when I put it in so I spent all day tidying up and did a nice big water change so all is well again. I feel like I should at least give it a shot?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back