Double Check my Fish List

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've just changed my aquascape to a minimalist Tonga branch setup. The structure itself has 5 caves and I have another 4 cave structures at the sand level. I'm going to transfer the existing fish and structure to a 100g tank I'm about to setup. Prior to adding more fish I'll have sps grown out for a more filled in reef for the fish. Yea, I grow corals quickly lol

I currently have:
• 1 Ornate Leopard Wrasse
• 1 Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
• 1 Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse
• 1 Pink Streaked Wrasse
• 1 Resplendent Anthias
• 1 Neon Blue Goby (Elactinus oceanops)
• 1 Greenbanded Goby (Tigrigobius multifasciatus)
• 1 Zebra Barred Dartfish
Total = 8 Fish

-----Fish Considering Getting-----
• #9. Purple Firefish
• #10. Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula)
• #11. Blackline Blenny
(Meiacanthus nigrolineatus)
• #12 Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
• #13 Gold Assessor Basslet (Assessor flavissimus)

What's your thoughts on my fish and plan?
5f715c6eabeb633ba893846cc5725c3d.jpg

Last edited:

abraha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma for sure. I used to have one. Great fish. I also like the firefish.

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How's this sound @eatbreakfeast
I want to make sure everyone is compatible, (I especially want my two pygmy wrasse to be ok) also structure with the caves outlined above.
Others chime in too [emoji108][emoji106]

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both leopards and the pink streaked will share an appetite on your microfauna. I dont know how much volume each would need to compete together in the same system and thrive though.

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yeah, a lot of my existing fish eat pods 2 pygmy wrasse, 2 gobbies, 2 Leopards. [emoji3] They also eat the food I feed.
When I removed the rock from my existing tank I was dosing Vibrant to rid bubble algae at the same time. Lost a Mandrin at that time but since I've reestablished pods all over. I added some bio blocks that the pods enjoy breeding in the sump and the phytoplankton I've been adding has done wonders for pods. Check out Easy Reef phytoplankton comes in nice small packages. [emoji106] So my existing fish are fat and happy.
Both leopards and the pink streaked will share an appetite on your microfauna. I dont know how much volume each would need to compete together in the same system and thrive though.

Last edited:

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100g....busted you didn't read everything I wrote lol

haha busted. I actually read it twice and somehow managed to miss it both times lol.

I loved my purple firefish, it was my first saltwater fish. I just lost my royal gramma and I really liked him so I would definitely add one, or better yet, a blackcap if you can find one.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dracula Gobies can be cool but for the money they spend too much time hiding. I would go with a Hi-Fin instead. Similar look and visibility, but much cheaper. My purple firefish was too shy for my tastes and spent most of it's time in hiding. So my recommendation would be to skip the Purple, replace the dracula with the Hi-Fin and keep the rest of the list. Nice selection BTW. Wrasses are among my favorite. I have a juvie Melanurus and juvie Blue Star Leopard in my 90 gallon.

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks beautiful!

With a limited number of fish and many of them sleeping in the sand the caves shouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to seeing it grow out!
Ha actually pretty even on where they will sleep with the edge going to needing caves.

• 2 Leopards = sand
• 3 Gobbies = sand for the most part
• Zebra Dartfish sand but needs cave overhead
Total 6

Needs caves
• Pink Streaked Wrasse = cave
• Resplendent Anthias = cave
• Purple Firefish = cave
• Blackline Blenny = cave
• Royal Gramma = cave
• Gold Assessor= cave
Total 6 to say 7

• 1 Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse [emoji848]

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dracula Gobies can be cool but for the money they spend too much time hiding. I would go with a Hi-Fin instead. Similar look and visibility, but much cheaper. My purple firefish was too shy for my tastes and spent most of it's time in hiding. So my recommendation would be to skip the Purple, replace the dracula with the Hi-Fin and keep the rest of the list. Nice selection BTW. Wrasses are among my favorite. I have a juvie Melanurus and juvie Blue Star Leopard in my 90 gallon.
I hear you on the Purple Firefish I was just saying the same thing. Well when I took out the rock in my tank, I made a mistake and killed my Firefish. Since then I've removed a Yellow Wrasse that use to punk the Firefish a little bit but the fish still came out. I'm wondering if the open scape and peaceful fish the Firefish might stay out more. They are gorgeous when out. [emoji848]

Hi Finn looks nice. I've had a Yasha Goby that was pretty cool. Actually I prefer feeding fish that eat more out of the water colum so I might not jump out on getting another goby. The neon goby I have is cool he actually goes up on the glass and eats the Masstick food I stick on the glass. [emoji106]

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
• Gold Assessor= cave

Gorgeous little fish. They are supposed to like caves and overhangs it's true, but mine spends probably 80% of his time out in the open water. He's a bit strange though. He spent the entire 14 days of quarantine swimming upside-down (which they are known to do), entirely happy and eating, only to right himself the moment I put him in the DT. I kinda wish he'd kept swimming upside-down, tbh.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The hi-fins look great and will very often share a cave with each other, so you can get more than one even if not sold as a pair. I have 2 of them sharing accommodations with 2 tiger pistol shrimps.

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like double trouble 2 pistols locked and loaded. [emoji12]
I figured when I said needs cave that it is more for sleeping I hope lol.
Now I have to be patient get my new tank setup and then slowly start getting these fish. However might add both the Basslets at the same time and maybe the Blenny but that's a little while away.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back