Downside to using a UV sterilizer?

Chris H Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2024
Messages
111
Reaction score
72
Location
Greenville
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I noticed when my lights are off my tank has a slight green foggy tint to it. I have a UV sterilizer from another tank that I just put in my sump and set up for 3hrs a day.

Is there any downside to using a uv sterilizer in a reef tank? I have it like this at the moment.

IMG_2560.jpeg
 
I think someone else posted about the damage to plastic (tanks frame) from UV like the one you have. Good ones have an enclosed area to keep the light from burning everything, those are dangerous to your eyes too.

Otherwise, 3 hours a day will not kill the algae in the tank but it might kill the tank and take the algae with it.
 
The downside to UV is it sterilizes indiscriminately lowering populations of good stuff as well as bad stuff.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new