Downsizing to a 180g peninsula

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here it goes....

I've had this 190g DSA tank set up as a room divider/peninsula for close to 3yrs. I've always hated that the overflow blocked a large portion of viewing space from be one side.
MVIMG_20190330_175149.jpg

But I've made do, because the tank was free.

The problems...
1. There's a chip in a corner. I filled it with silicone, and haven't had a problem with it. Just don't like the look.

2. Scratches on glass. My mother in law had the tank set up at her house for two years before I got it. She was constantly re doing rock work and put some scratches on the glass. Nothing too bad, but you can see them.

3. There sump is too small and too big. It's a 33 long with three chambers, but the baffles only come up about half way, so it's maybe 20 gallons at most (to small of water volume). And I went to replace it, and I can't get it out of the stand because it is too long.

4. Not peninsula style. That's all I have to say

I got the ok from the wife to get a new tank, but have to keep the budget under $1300. I've been selling off extra equipment to add some funds to the project.

I work in the aquatic industry and was able to get a great deal on a custom drilled peninsula 180 from aqueon. I needed an internal overflow since I'm working with 74" of space, an external overflow just wasn't going to work.

The tank was ordered this week. Didn't get a time frame on delivery, but guess I better get things moving on my end.

Also found this pump at an outlet store near my house. Box was crushed but pump was good. Got it for a whopping $60
IMG_20190411_202743.jpg

Next step is building a stand. I think I'm going to go with cabinet grade ply wood so I can get as much open space under the tank as possible.

I'll stay to keep this updated... So stay tuned!!

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here it goes....

I've had this 190g DSA tank set up as a room divider/peninsula for close to 3yrs. I've always hated that the overflow blocked a large portion of viewing space from be one side.
MVIMG_20190330_175149.jpg

But I've made do, because the tank was free.

The problems...
1. There's a chip in a corner. I filled it with silicone, and haven't had a problem with it. Just don't like the look.

2. Scratches on glass. My mother in law had the tank set up at her house for two years before I got it. She was constantly re doing rock work and put some scratches on the glass. Nothing too bad, but you can see them.

3. There sump is too small and too big. It's a 33 long with the chambers, but the baffles only come up about half way, so it's maybe 20 gallons at most (to small of water volume). And I went to replace it, and I can't get it out of the stand because it is too long.

4. Not peninsula style. That's all I have to say

I got the ok from the wide to get a new tank, but have to keep the budget under $1300. I've been selling off extra equipment to add some funds to the project.

I work in the aquatic industry and was able to get a great deal on a custom drilled peninsula 180 from aqueon. I needed an internal overflow since I'm working with 74" of space, an external overflow just wasn't going to work.

The tank was ordered this week. Didn't get a time frame on delivery, but guess I better get things moving on my end.

Also found this pump at an outlet store near my house. Box was crushed but pump was good. Got it for a whopping $60
IMG_20190411_202743.jpg

Next step is building a stand. I think I'm going to go with cabinet grade ply wood so I can get as much open space under the tank as possible.

I'll stay to keep this updated... So stay tuned!!
Sounds great! Can’t wait to see the build.

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a delivery date of on or around May 20th for the new tank.

I'm going to start moving rock out of the sump and into some cans in the garage for the time being. I want to make the transfer day as easy as possible.

Next up will be taking a day off of work to build the stand.

Not sure if I want to go with a 55 or 75 for the sump. Going to be a simple 3 chambers, socks and skimmer in section one, live rock in chamber two, and return section.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a delivery date of on or around May 20th for the new tank.

I'm going to start moving rock out of the sump and into some cans in the garage for the time being. I want to make the transfer day as easy as possible.

Next up will be taking a day off of work to build the stand.

Not sure if I want to go with a 55 or 75 for the sump. Going to be a simple 3 chambers, socks and skimmer in section one, live rock in chamber two, and return section.

May 20th - that gives you just over a month to make as many friends as possible (preferably strong ones) who can help you with the transition!!! :):):)

Seriously though, good luck with the transition and be safe during the move! We look forward to seeing more pictures!

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 20th - that gives you just over a month to make as many friends as possible (preferably strong ones) who can help you with the transition!!! :):):)

Seriously though, good luck with the transition and be safe during the move! We look forward to seeing more pictures!

It won't be too bad of a transition.

My father in law has a 220 and offered to help already. I also got a case of my brothers favorite beer and sent it to him with the message "free, all you have to do is help move a fish tank"

In total I've probably moved my smaller tanks I had about 8 or 9 times, between two apartments and different spots in the house. And helped my father-in-law with a 185 acrylic tank and then transition to his 220. I just don't know if I have enough heaters and pumps because this is going to take all day.

I may end up putting the tank on the other side of the short wall. This way I could set the new one up, and then drain water directly to the new set up.

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't started the stand yet.

But this great thing had happened. I must have scraped shine silicone away by accident because I now have a leak at the top of the tank. It's probably losing 8-12oz a day. That sale creep is from 2 days.
MVIMG_20190429_165201.jpg

So, I made a slight miss calculation when sizing the tank. I measured from the wall, yea I forgot about the base board that is about 3/4 of an inch. That little bit will make the tank stick out into the wall way, past the end of the short wall.
IMG_20190429_165208.jpg

The only thing that saved me is we are in the process of buying it house from the landlord we have. My wife made a list of things she wants done and the kitchen floor is one of them. I told her that if she plans on replacing the floor in the next 3yrs, I'm going to put the tank on the other side of the wall. This gives me an extra 2.5 in of space
IMG_20190429_165218.jpg

I had to compromise on one thing. My wife wants a regular height stand, with a riser underneath to bring the bottom of the tank even with the ledge. This way if we ever need to move the tank, we have a usable stand and not something to tall.

Putting the tank on the other side of the wall will also make transferring livestock much easier. I'll pump water from one tank, straight to the other. I won't have to have bins fill if water and fish all over the place.

I guess it's back to the drawing board for the stand...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if you look hard enough you can find a silver lining!

BabyPuffer.gif

I like your optimism and problem solving!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back