Dr. D's Deeply Dubious Mariner 100 Build

Yes, I've had a custom polycarbonate lid from Walter Lids for a number of weeks now. It works just fine, and seriously cuts down on the amount of ATO water I need. I haven't been using it lately only because I do like the lidless look, and none of my current fish seem to be jumpers. It was way less expensive than the mesh lids everyone else seems to get-- I priced one of those and it would have been more than $500 for my 100g... too rich for my blood. Mine was well under $200.
That’s cool. Do you have any pics of your lid?
 
Had my first jumper a couple of days ago, just after saying how I was enjoying the lidless life. Noticed I had 4 chromis instead of 5. Couldn't find anyone on the floor, so I assumed the lost chromi was bullied to death like all but one of my Banggai Cardinals. This morning I finally noticed the chromi lying on top of the overflow cover, an inch away from salvation.
 
Had my first jumper a couple of days ago, just after saying how I was enjoying the lidless life. Noticed I had 4 chromis instead of 5. Couldn't find anyone on the floor, so I assumed the lost chromi was bullied to death like all but one of my Banggai Cardinals. This morning I finally noticed the chromi lying on top of the overflow cover, an inch away from salvation.
No luck brining it back?
 
Any tank updates? Your cat is very cute. 🙂
 
It’s been a long time since my last update. Overall I’m very happy with the tank, which isn’t even a year old yet. Way too many corals— mostly LPS but I added some SPS recently. I dose All 4 Reef but frankly don’t test, which should probably mean doom… but so far so good. Fish seem happy, including relatively recent additions: lemon peel angel and coral beauty. Nobody bothers the corals, probably because I feed pretty heavily. Here are some pics:

IMG_0178.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5090.jpeg
    IMG_5090.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0145.jpeg
    IMG_0145.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 36
Super happy with my copperband butterfly. I was reluctant to try one because of so many people say it’s an “expert” fish… and I’m no expert. But I’m so glad I tried. Got it from Dr. Reef. It almost immediately ate frozen mysis and clams, and soon after eagerly ate freeze-dried mysis. It’s so friendly and curious… just a joy. Rubs against my hand whenever I’m in the tank.

I also love my pistol shrimp and goby pair. What a hoot! Conchs and starfish are fun too.

IMG_5158.jpeg
IMG_5191.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Torches are great, but horrible neighbors. Had to banish them to one corner.

IMG_0064.jpeg IMG_5488.jpeg
 
Last edited:
How does your Sicce SDC 9.0 do with the M100. I have one and want to use it for the MP100. Just worried about not being able to turn it down enough. Tank looks great!
 
How does your Sicce SDC 9.0 do with the M100. I have one and want to use it for the MP100. Just worried about not being able to turn it down enough. Tank looks great!
Not a problem at all. When it’s clean I run at maybe 50%, upping that as algae builds up on the motor.
 
May I see how you plumb the return pump. I am setting up M100 soon as well. Thanks in advance
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new