Dr reef vs marine collectors.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 4 tangs from Marine Collectors. 2 tangs in 2 purchases. First Naso died within days, so I tried again, and the second did the same thing. Both arrived acting like zombies and wouldn’t touch food. The other two tangs, a yellow and blue hippo, are thriving. Fwiw, not the remotest sign of ich from either of them.

Just received my anthias and mandarin goby from Dr Reef. He gave 2 additional anthias for free. All doing great! And much more affordable. I think that’s where I’ll be buying fish from from now on.
I wouldn't quite say "for free". He's been trialing better shipping practices and adding extras for the more sensitive fish to help with getting alive arrivals. I imagine once there's greater confidence in shipping survival, there will be fewer "insurance" fish shipped out.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 4 tangs from Marine Collectors. 2 tangs in 2 purchases. First Naso died within days, so I tried again, and the second did the same thing……
…I’m guessing named “giggles” & “Squirm” ;)
how many anthias did you order that you got extras? i love extras:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Ordered 7 and got 9!
“A school of fool fish” (G.Clinton) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

p.s the original bi-fold album with original 3d pop up centerpiece “Motor Booty Affair” is worth a fortune!!!

SaltyTwigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always purchase all fish from Marine Collectors. I have not had any fish that died or ever displayed any symptoms of disease. I however also quarantine anything wet that goes in my tanks in fishes system. I would say one area Marine Collectors could get better at is communicating during the process as sometimes it takes up to 4 weeks.

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…I’m guessing named “giggles” & “Squirm” ;)

“A school of fool fish” (G.Clinton) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

p.s the original bi-fold album with original 3d pop up centerpiece “Motor Booty Affair” is worth a fortune!!!
Someone finally recognizes my profile pic and name haha! That reference was DEEP!

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't quite say "for free". He's been trialing better shipping practices and adding extras for the more sensitive fish to help with getting alive arrivals. I imagine once there's greater confidence in shipping survival, there will be fewer "insurance" fish shipped out.
Haha call it what you will, I’m happy either way!

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just want to see everybodys experience on dr reef vs marine collectors. I like dr reef. But there was few concerns here, about giving people ich. Whats your experience been like with either one. I didnt hear nothing bad about marine collectors but they are a lot of money.
+1 for Dr Reef, I wouldn't order from anywhere else

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they list medium as the default size for everything, have you ever successfully requested and received a different size?

i only ask because i like getting my fish small and growing them out
If you email them and speak directly to Mike (even better, call) you'll get a better chance of getting the ones in the size you want. Got two female/small yellow coris wrasses recently that I specifically asked for as small as possible, and they came small.

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they list medium as the default size for everything, have you ever successfully requested and received a different size?

i only ask because i like getting my fish small and growing them out

He's great at responding to emails. I think he can get anything you want, it's just a matter of availability and patience.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ich in an order from Dr. Reef. That doesn't usually seem to be the case, but I'd still quarantine any fish from them firsthand. At least put them in an observation tank, IMO. To be fair, he does run a very large operation, and it's going to be tough to stop all parasites from getting through. Other quarantine vendors with a lower rate of sick fish (Ocean Devotion, Alien Reef, FisHotel, etc) have small selections for the most part.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy "quarantined" fish from Dr. Reef. Simply put, the cost is not that much more and the quarantine time ensures that the fish was not somehow injured in capture and initial transport. I have not lost a fish that I've purchased from Dr. Reef.

I would suggest that you contact them directly and discuss specific sizes or anything else that matters to you. Also be prepared to feed your new fish heavily. They always seem a little skinny when they arrive.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've order three times from Dr Reef. The first two orders were flawless without an issue, other than one escape artist that managed to jump through a food door left open. The third order just arrived today, one of the fish was pulled from the order because he had concerns about it and refunded prior to shipment, a second one arrived DOA in the box and was refunded as well. The other eight in the order seem fine. I wouldn't hesitate to order again, but I always kick myself for going right to the DT. It is probably a good idea to do an observational QT just to get the fish settled in a bit before adding stress from being dropped into an already busy tank, and a final check for disease too.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done two orders with Dr Reef, none with Marine Collectors. My first order from Dr Reef was for 2 Blue Throat Triggers. One showed up very skinny and barley alive. She bounced back after two weeks was perfectly healthy. I just got my second order from them. 1 Majestic Angle, 1 Flame Back Angle and 1 cleaner wrasse. All three were in great shape. All three were eating within 30 minutes of acclimation.

I have also had real good service from the Fish Hotel. Don't see anyone talking about that site here. Its pretty popular on Humble Fish'. https://fishotel.com/

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the best online service and quality and healthiness of fish came from blue zoo aquatics and reef beauties. Got two fish from pete’s aquarium as well.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the best online service and quality and healthiness of fish came from blue zoo aquatics and reef beauties. Got two fish from pete’s aquarium as well.
They sell QTed fish? I don't see that on their site.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell QTed fish? I don't see that on their site.
Not QT no. But very healthy livestock, never have had to medicate any of the fish in observation and are fat and eating when they come

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered from dr reef twice. Not a single issue. You have to understand that they will ship when the fish are ready. I had velvet roll through my tank. Never again. Farm raised first, then qt’d and he even sells the farm raised fish.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 122 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back