Dr tims fishless cycle day 7, Nitrates 50?

CheetoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Been reading a lot about cycling, and I know i might get some heat for this, but I am trying to cycle my tank with only Dr tims bacteria, dr tims ammonia, and a salifert Nitrate test kit....

I know i know, I just said I have been reading for 8 years and so I should know that I need to test ammonia/nitrite and wait till they're 0, I GET IT ! lol..... but...why tf would I buy two tests kits im never going to use after the cycle? When I can just detect the Nitrates indicating that the cycle is well, underway, or nearing complete.

So, I am asking for some opinions, i can take the negative ones too.

December 2nd -- Added Dr tim/ 50 drops ammonia (approx 12gal dose).
December 4th -- Nitrate 2ppm
December 5th -- Added 50drops ammonia
December 6th -- Nitrate Approx 15ppm
December 7th -- Nitrate 30-40ppm
December 9th -- Nitrate 50pm

Soooo......thats 7 days and im already seeing 50ppm, and the guide recommends ANOTHER dose of ammonia... I just dont want to launch my nitrates into orbit or does it matter? I was thinking 50% WC at the end anyway.

I know the real real answer is test, amm/nitrite, but if im already at this many Nitrates, am I almost done?
I was going to wait 14 days. I know the Nitrite takes a while to be consumed.

Looking for opinions, does a tank cycle in 7 days?

Waterbox cube 20
AI prime HD
Nero 3
Duetto ATO
Liferock shapes
Pink Fiji live sand.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll like this part :)

your cycle is done. Defined:

reefs don’t run at zero ammonia, that’s old rules

your bacteria are fully adhered to surfaces, and can’t be removed or killed by any practical means. source for Dr. Tims adherence timeframe = Dr. Reefs 109 page bottle bac comparison thread. These bottle bac handle fish/waste on day one, waiting an extra week is 7 more days than required.

we don’t care about nitrite any longer, not required. Old school cycling required it.

most important: your tank can’t be made safer for fish by waiting longer, or doing anything. The only thing that protects fish now is applying Jays disease protocols from the fish disease forum. Old cycling science never ever never mentions fish disease preps, they only hyperfocus on ammonia being zero, it’s not, and they focus on nitrite which nobody cares about.

your nitrate test is most likely wrong for the sole reason that nitrite is interfering with it, but it’s not harming fish. A cycling chart shows us nitrite is ok after day 25, wait till after then to begin factoring nitrate.

lastly, your nitrate kit if non digital isn’t right most likely, even after day 25 :)

old cycling science never ever ever allows for the rampant mis testing we know to be occurring across the board nowadays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CheetoReef

CheetoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you are answering your own questions. For reference, using Dr. Tim's ammonia, I have cycled 2 different tanks in 9 days. One was a 32 gallon, the other a 25 gallon.
I could totally be over thinking this....I know its the fastest way to do it, but it was almost too quick to believe.

I was going to do 50% water change and then add a fish. Going away at beginning of January, so I wont be doing much until after.

OP
OP
CheetoReef

CheetoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

your bacteria are fully adhered to surfaces, and can’t be removed or killed by any practical means. source for Dr. Tims adherence timeframe = Dr. Reefs 109 page bottle bac comparison thread. These bottle bac handle fish/waste on day one, waiting an extra week is 7 more days than required.

we don’t care about nitrite any longer, not required. Old school cycling required it.

most important: your tank can’t be made safer for fish by waiting longer, or doing anything. The only thing that protects fish now is applying Jays disease protocols from the fish disease forum. Old cycling science never ever never mentions fish disease preps, they only hyperfocus on ammonia being zero, it’s not, and they focus on nitrite which nobody cares about.

your nitrate test is most likely wrong for the sole reason that nitrite is interfering with it, but it’s not harming fish. A cycling chart shows us nitrite is ok after day 25, wait till after then to begin factoring nitrate.

lastly, your nitrate kit if non digital isn’t right most likely, even after day 25 :)

old cycling science never ever ever allows for the rampant mis testing we know to be occurring across the board nowadays.
Was a delay on the body of this message. Thank you!!!!!!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delay = I wanted in first post so I write the short intro then to back and do the soapboxing lol

OP
OP
CheetoReef

CheetoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

old cycling science never ever ever allows for the rampant mis testing we know to be occurring across the bo

Delay = I wanted in first post so I write the short intro then to back and do the soapboxing lol
Hahaha gotcha, I appreciate you.

So I guess I am good to start my adventure eh?!

Cheers, hopefully going to turn out as a nice LPS/soft tank. Maybe a birds nest down the road.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could totally be over thinking this....I know its the fastest way to do it, but it was almost too quick to believe.

I was going to do 50% water change and then add a fish. Going away at beginning of January, so I wont be doing much until after.
Please do grab an API ammonia test kit ($10) and test ammonia just in case. As long as the color isn't higher than 0.25, you're good to go. Absolutely zero reason to test for nitrITE when cycling a saltwater tank.

As for Brandon, he can be extremely long winded and sometimes difficult to understand, and likes to shill for buying certain digital equipment... so just keep it simple. Check for ammonia, do a water change if you feel nitrates are too high (IMO, this means over 50, and only because it can fuel algae), and add a fish or 2. Be sure to add some cuc as well since your next adventure will be the "algae cycle" which can last up to a year ;)

OP
OP
CheetoReef

CheetoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do grab an API ammonia test kit ($10) and test ammonia just in case. As long as the color isn't higher than 0.25, you're good to go. Absolutely zero reason to test for nitrITE when cycling a saltwater tank.

As for Brandon, he can be extremely long winded and sometimes difficult to understand, so just keep it simple... Check for ammonia, do a water change if you feel nitrates are too high (IMO, this means over 50, and only because it can fuel algae), and add a fish or 2. Be sure to add some cuc as well since your next adventure will be the "algae cycle" which can last up to a year ;)
Thank you, Im going to get a trusty ol clown fish tomorrow I think.

OP
OP
CheetoReef

CheetoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, I dont have a QT tank :rolleyes:

Soooooooo, gotta browse the fish disease forums

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Been reading a lot about cycling, and I know i might get some heat for this, but I am trying to cycle my tank with only Dr tims bacteria, dr tims ammonia, and a salifert Nitrate test kit....

I know i know, I just said I have been reading for 8 years and so I should know that I need to test ammonia/nitrite and wait till they're 0, I GET IT ! lol..... but...why tf would I buy two tests kits im never going to use after the cycle? When I can just detect the Nitrates indicating that the cycle is well, underway, or nearing complete.

So, I am asking for some opinions, i can take the negative ones too.

December 2nd -- Added Dr tim/ 50 drops ammonia (approx 12gal dose).
December 4th -- Nitrate 2ppm
December 5th -- Added 50drops ammonia
December 6th -- Nitrate Approx 15ppm
December 7th -- Nitrate 30-40ppm
December 9th -- Nitrate 50pm

Soooo......thats 7 days and im already seeing 50ppm, and the guide recommends ANOTHER dose of ammonia... I just dont want to launch my nitrates into orbit or does it matter? I was thinking 50% WC at the end anyway.

I know the real real answer is test, amm/nitrite, but if im already at this many Nitrates, am I almost done?
I was going to wait 14 days. I know the Nitrite takes a while to be consumed.

Looking for opinions, does a tank cycle in 7 days?

Waterbox cube 20
AI prime HD
Nero 3
Duetto ATO
Liferock shapes
Pink Fiji live sand.

I doubt you have 50 ppm nitrate. With most kits, a small amount of nitrite reads as a huge amount of nitrate due to the way they work. It makes monitoring difficult during cycling.

For cycling, I would track ammonia only, and I would add it twice and watch it decline each time to see when you are done.

Back