Dr Tims protocol for dinos. What is a comparable product to waste away?

JustJoan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Brett said, join Mack's reef on Facebook. I just cleared my tank of dinos about 3 months ago, after a fight of one year. There is no easy softer way. Blackouts will not work long term, dosing things will not provide a miracle. Some dinos are more poisonous than others. I had LCA, which is the least poisonous. You must run carbon to detoxify the poison. UV only works on some dinos. LCA killed all my inverts. In my journey to eradicate dinos I learned a LOT about reef chemistry.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Warning: extreme noob here so this should be good) I did a round of reef flux to get rid of the bryopsis/GHA and I was left with a small amount of dinos in the sand. It allowed me to see the dinos I was working with were (visually) not that bad. I have now added a couple more rocks, started pods and phyto, gfo(high phosphates), and a few more critters to my CUC. This has shown the most promising results yet. Side note: peroxide immediately killed my cleaner shrimp and I miss him.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added nitrate and phosphate as it read zero. Biggest impact was adding real live rock. Cleared up in a couple weeks without much input from me. Diversity is key. I have the dr Tim’s product but never used it. Live rock ftw.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had success with Dr Tims but I did have success carbon dosing at night, keeping nutrients elevated, and dosing waterglass. The waterglass really seemed to finish them off.
I dont want to jump the gun, its only been 6 days, but the Dr Tims seems to be kind of working. It absolutely reduced the population, they arent gone though but it without a doubt reduced them by about 70%. Could it have been fixing my nutrients and dosing silica? sure. who knows. but it is slowly getting better. slowly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back