Dr Tims protocol for dinos. What is a comparable product to waste away?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a terrible case of dinos. i tried UV, tried everything. Now I have been dosing refresh per dr Tims dino plan. But the waste away I ordered was delayed and now im kinda screwed. Is there another product that does the same thing? i saw a post that said maybe microbacter 7 so i just ordered some of that. But another post said its NOT the same thing. One post said NOPOX will do the same thing. is that true?

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a terrible case of dinos. i tried UV, tried everything. Now I have been dosing refresh per dr Tims dino plan. But the waste away I ordered was delayed and now im kinda screwed. Is there another product that does the same thing? i saw a post that said maybe microbacter 7 so i just ordered some of that. But another post said its NOT the same thing. One post said NOPOX will do the same thing. is that true?
Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? Worked well for me.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB clean has worked for me on other invasive stuff.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? Worked well for me.
ive heard some horror stories. i dosed it one night. the next night my puffer died. :( my first fish loss so far. however, i cant attribute that to the death neccesarily. maybe he ate some dinos, as they are toxic? I dunno, who knows. i just know ive heard ppl say be careful if you have sps corals with hydrogen peroxide. im hesitant.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB clean has worked for me on other invasive stuff.
i cant find that on amazon, everywhere else takes like a week or more to arrive. according to Dr Tims, you start the waste away on day 3, which is today. so i was hoping i could get something similair quicker. but maybe ill try to find some MB clean anyways.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive heard some horror stories. i dosed it one night. the next night my puffer died. :( my first fish loss so far. however, i cant attribute that to the death neccesarily. maybe he ate some dinos, as they are toxic? I dunno, who knows. i just know ive heard ppl say be careful if you have sps corals with hydrogen peroxide. im hesitant.
I would definitely be careful with peroxide around shrimp whereas I’ve directly blasted zoas …
tbh no clue how effective it is on dinos

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any sps but my fish have all been fine through it. How much were you dosing? I have a 20g and did about 2ml (3% H2O2) for a week.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use Nopox as it will bring down your nutrients which will fuel dinos.

I have had success in beating dinos in two separate tanks now by adding a diversity pack from Indo-Pacifica Sea Farms. I am a firm believer that dinos are in everyone's tank and you just need the right diversity present to keep them in check.

Get your nutrients at a stable recommended value then add diversity however you choose.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz monster, mb clean, waste away, and seachem pristine are things I'd all put in the same category. I an not sure they do anything for dinos. I have limited anecdotal evidecne with eco balance but that is it.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use Nopox as it will bring down your nutrients which will fuel dinos.

I have had success in beating dinos in two separate tanks now by adding a diversity pack from Indo-Pacifica Sea Farms. I am a firm believer that dinos are in everyone's tank and you just need the right diversity present to keep them in check.

Get your nutrients at a stable recommended value then add diversity however you choose.
fortunately that was the first thing i did. i bought brightwells neophos and neonitro, and the first thing i did was get my nutrients right. now i just need to kill the dinos.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and its important though to identify the type of dino for most effective battle.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED AMINO OR ADD NOPOX which is food for dinos, however you can feed coral, food which will help no3 and po4 to increase. If increasing nutrients, try to keep no3 to about 5 until you are done battling these cells.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fritz monster, mb clean, waste away, and seachem pristine are things I'd all put in the same category. I an not sure they do anything for dinos. I have limited anecdotal evidecne with eco balance but that is it.
i dont think any of these things do anything. people that had luck i think was just coincidental with when there diversity stabilized. i tried microbacter 7, peroxide and the expensive dr tims waste away. all snake oil and did nothing. eventually dinos went away on its own. just give it time.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and its important though to identify the type of dino for most effective battle.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED AMINO OR ADD NOPOX which is food for dinos, however you can feed coral, food which will help no3 and po4 to increase. If increasing nutrients, try to keep no3 to about 5 until you are done battling these cells.
i should have started out with what i have done so far. I bought a microscope. i have several different types. my UV sterilizer is doing nothing for the prorocentrum and amphindiums i have. I fixed my nutrients with brightwells neonitro and neo phos. i am dosing silicates as of 4 days ago. nothing has worked so far over last month or two. so now im trying dr tims and a blackout. i would also like to increase my biodiversity with corraline algae rock or real live rock in ocean.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think any of these things do anything. people that had luck i think was just coincidental with when there diversity stabilized. i tried microbacter 7, peroxide and the expensive dr tims waste away. all snake oil and did nothing. eventually dinos went away on its own. just give it time.
yea... ive heard mixed comments. there was a handful of ppl who swore by dr tims dino protocol so i figured i would try it. ive tried everything else already from UV sterilizers, fixing nutrients, silicate everything.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The purpose (from my understanding) of these is to add bacteria that normally is skimmed out of the water. Having them not to anything for dinos doesn't mean they aren't doing anything at all.

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be careful with peroxide around shrimp whereas I’ve directly blasted zoas …
tbh no clue how effective it is on dinos
I've dosed hydrogen peroxide at 1ml/10gal every night along with mb7 during the day for 3 weeks to fight dinos/hair algae with no ill effects to nothing in my tank. I continue to dose once a week. I have shrimp, fish, coral and cuc.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed hydrogen peroxide at 1ml/10gal every night along with mb7 during the day for 3 weeks to fight dinos/hair algae with no ill effects to nothing in my tank. I continue to dose once a week. I have shrimp, fish, coral and cuc.
yes, Iused it for a while also but I noticed skunk shrimp mortality immediately following dosing…
For me peroxide did wonders for bubble algae directly applied… No experience with it for dinos

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i should have started out with what i have done so far. I bought a microscope. i have several different types. my UV sterilizer is doing nothing for the prorocentrum and amphindiums i have. I fixed my nutrients with brightwells neonitro and neo phos. i am dosing silicates as of 4 days ago. nothing has worked so far over last month or two. so now im trying dr tims and a blackout. i would also like to increase my biodiversity with corraline algae rock or real live rock in ocean.
While it has worked for some, I dont do silicates and UV will address what is free floating and not what is there already - It does not erase these cells.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back