dr tims refresh/waste away

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
due to a heavy algae issue, that doesnt want to go away, and just grows back as bad, if not worse, when i just try to manually remove it, i have attempted the dr tims refresh/waste away. ive gone the full week of the waste away, and have done one 1/4 dose of the waste away. this all has seemed to have stopped the algae from growing back where it would have before, but it seems that it is bottoming out phosphate. it has lowered nitrate, but not bottomed out. last i looked, i was at about 10-12 nitrate. i will have to look again today. the bottoming out, or at least my assumption is, that with the bottoming out of phosphate, i am getting a little bit of dinos. its not horrible, and seems to be kept at a minimum at this time, but to ensure that it doesnt get worse, would it be safe to dose neophos to up the phosphate a bit? the reason why i ask is because i have a couple leathers, zoa colonies, and torch/hammers that seem to be affected by something, whereas they were fine previous to the dr tims stuff. since dr tims is just bacteria, it shouldnt affect them directly, but im sure that the lack of phosphate probably would.

im curious as to whether the dr tims refresh/waste away would negate the neo phos, or would i be going against the grain by dosing neo phos while dr tims product is doing its thing?

and before anyone asks-the rest of the parameters are good.
alk 8.2
cal-450
mag 1425
ammonia 0
temp 79
ph 8.1

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think waste away should lower phosphate already in the water, but I would need to re watch an dr tils interview. Waste away is meant to eat things before they become available waste for algae. You can dose neophos without issue.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think waste away should lower phosphate already in the water, but I would need to re watch an dr tils interview. Waste away is meant to eat things before they become available waste for algae. You can dose neophos without issue.
its the re-fresh as well. either way, my phosphates have somehow, bottomed out. most likely because the bacteria has taken the food source (phosphate) away. phosphate previous to this was about .02-.03, and now its undectable with my eye on a color chart.

at this point, like i said, it seems that where i removed the algae from, does not return. i have one of a couple options. one would be to continue with the waste away as is, and do nothing else.
continue with the waste away, and add neophos to suplement the corals that may be lacking it (i dont know if this would be counter produictive. would the waste away bacteria just be spinning its tires eating what i add, or would it focus on physical material that would leech phosphate),
stop dr tims, and raise phosphate with either neophos, just feeding, or see if it raises naturally without adding anything special.

im concerned that if i stop the dr tims, the underlying issue stays there, and when i stop, boom, algae issue came back as it was from the start because of the uneaten food/debris that leeches excess nutrients

at the moment, im leaning more towards adding neophos, just enough, to keep dinos away, but i dont know if that would work, since other carbon sources like elimi np, bacto balance, etc essentially target things like phosphate and nitrate so that it can be skimmed out/absorbed by coral as food. essentially, if thats really how it works, carbon such as those would theoretically absorb neophos, thus making it negated.

or perhaps im overthinking it, and it would work just fine?

Last edited:

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
due to a heavy algae issue, that doesnt want to go away, and just grows back as bad, if not worse, when i just try to manually remove it, i have attempted the dr tims refresh/waste away. ive gone the full week of the waste away, and have done one 1/4 dose of the waste away. this all has seemed to have stopped the algae from growing back where it would have before, but it seems that it is bottoming out phosphate. it has lowered nitrate, but not bottomed out. last i looked, i was at about 10-12 nitrate. i will have to look again today. the bottoming out, or at least my assumption is, that with the bottoming out of phosphate, i am getting a little bit of dinos. its not horrible, and seems to be kept at a minimum at this time, but to ensure that it doesnt get worse, would it be safe to dose neophos to up the phosphate a bit? the reason why i ask is because i have a couple leathers, zoa colonies, and torch/hammers that seem to be affected by something, whereas they were fine previous to the dr tims stuff. since dr tims is just bacteria, it shouldnt affect them directly, but im sure that the lack of phosphate probably would.

im curious as to whether the dr tims refresh/waste away would negate the neo phos, or would i be going against the grain by dosing neo phos while dr tims product is doing its thing?

and before anyone asks-the rest of the parameters are good.
alk 8.2
cal-450
mag 1425
ammonia 0
temp 79
ph 8.1
You are not alone. I dosed two times at 1/2 dose with Waste Away, and my nano phosphate dropped to zero from 10 in three days, phosphate zero as well, from .02.

Think I’m gonna try Microbactor Clean.. when I get my numbers stabilized again.

Working a green turf algae issue.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back