Dragon eel and a wolf eel

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding a Dragon eel to my 400g tank after a 4 week holding period.
In my 400g is a mature 12" 'fat' wolf eel I've had @ 3years.
I'm concerned that the Dragon may have an appetite for my slow moving wolf eel that is very peaceful.
Can anyone with dragon eel experience help?
thanks...Ken

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough call, while dragon eel's are not near as aggressive as they look, there are a fang toothed eel. The shape and size of the wolf eel is something that could be appetizing and a new addition that still has a wild streak may present a problem. Most concerns I've seen with dragon eels is when 1st introduced and when introducing any new fish after the dragon's made a home, providing of course the proper choices in tank mates have been made.

So do you have the dragon eating dead food on a strict schedule, and has been eating well, and is well fed. I would feed him well before introduction and make sure to keep strictly on his feeding schedule. Once settled in and kept on a perfect strict feeding shedule, I'll give it 50/50 that the wolf eel doesn't disappear one day. Upon initial introduction it will be a high risk proposition.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a dumb question...Is this eel the big dottyback or the huge, more temperate water eel?

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough call, while dragon eel's are not near as aggressive as they look, there are a fang toothed eel. The shape and size of the wolf eel is something that could be appetizing and a new addition that still has a wild streak may present a problem. Most concerns I've seen with dragon eels is when 1st introduced and when introducing any new fish after the dragon's made a home, providing of course the proper choices in tank mates have been made.

So do you have the dragon eating dead food on a strict schedule, and has been eating well, and is well fed. I would feed him well before introduction and make sure to keep strictly on his feeding schedule. Once settled in and kept on a perfect strict feeding shedule, I'll give it 50/50 that the wolf eel doesn't disappear one day. Upon initial introduction it will be a high risk proposition.
Your insight and feeding information is very welcome and appreciated. I’m not willing to risk losing the wolf eel, too attached.
You seem to have a good understanding about dragon eels. Do you have or had dragon eels before?

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a dumb question...Is this eel the big dottyback or the huge, more temperate water eel?
You’re correct. It’s a dottyback and I think the risk is too great to put the dragon eel with the wolf. I’ll put the wolf into another tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your insight and feeding information is very welcome and appreciated. I’m not willing to risk losing the wolf eel, too attached.
You seem to have a good understanding about dragon eels. Do you have or had dragon eels before?

I've never kept one in one of my personal tanks but have worked with a few of them them at a friends lfs, as well as one he kept in a display tank. I have kept a few fang tooth eels and the dragon eel is a relatively less aggressive eel in comparison to other fang tooths. I watched a dragon eel take down a good size hippo tang but it was 100% my friend's fault. He just dumped the hippo into the tank and the dragon was hungry, care must be taken when releasing any new addition.

I would take extra time to get the dragon eating dead food very well. Maybe even keep him in observation longer to make sure he has acclimated to captive living. After a while he will be happy to take food from the tongs rather than hunting for food. When that happens no one knows. You can kind of tell when a fish gets into the rhythm, when that happens he will be less likely to go hunting, I did say "less likely". But be very aware, if you feed every 3 days, you better feed every 3 days; not 4, or he;s going hunting.

Either way it is a high risk, had you asked before, i likely would have recommended against it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back