Dragon moray eel

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a Dragon moray eel be added as first fish to a new tank or will it be to much of a bioload?
The tank has been set up for a month with 100 lbs of dry Tonga branch,2-4x8 marine pure blocks and used Red Sea reef mature.
Parameters are:
Ammonia 1.00 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15 ppm
Set up is a reefer 625 (133 gal display)
Plan to add Dr Tim’s one and only to get ammonia down then eel (about 26”)
Any advice appreciated

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride to raise your ammonia and multiply the colonization of your beneficial bacteria might be a good trick. Normally cycled tanks usually only process a small amount of ammonia quickly, that's why adding something like an eel might give you an ammonia spike. Read a bit on Dr Tim's method of cycling and you'll see why they recommend dosing your ammonia to 2 or 3 ppm(I forget), allowing it to zero out overnight then adding fish. Cycling through the ammonia 2 or 3 times also allows for more multiplication of beneficial bacteria. Just a thought, I wouldn't want to put a dragon through an ammonia spike.

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I wouldn’t put the king of the eels through that they are a hardy species however less tolerant then most common eels I would nuke the tank with dr Tim’s and turn off skimmers and see if the water clouds up you have to be careful because a lot of dr Tim’s lowers oxygen in the water even though it’s the ammonia supp. Better off getting a handful of damsels if they survive the cycle they become dinner for Moray

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back