Dragons breath algae

Fredrik Andersson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I bought some Dragons breath algae, which I thinks really great! But I cant see any of that oreange tips that I was hoping for. What can I do to improve the orange color?

I have a reefmax aquel 30g with its inbuilt original lights. The majn reason why I bought it was to reduce my nitrate levels that is really high at the moment, around 40 ppm:( But I also started to use nopox so hopefully I will see some reduced levels soon.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps iron and a stronger light

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yesterday I bought some Dragons breath algae, which I thinks really great! But I cant see any of that oreange tips that I was hoping for. What can I do to improve the orange color?

I have a reefmax aquel 30g with its inbuilt original lights. The majn reason why I bought it was to reduce my nitrate levels that is really high at the moment, around 40 ppm:( But I also started to use nopox so hopefully I will see some reduced levels soon.

Hi Fredrik,

Can you post a photo of the dragons breathe you bought? I have see some people (accidentally?) sell various species of macroalgae as dragons breathe (Halymenia).

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some in a small seahorse tank that I couldn't kill if I tried.....the lights weren't strong at all. There were elevated nutrients though.....maybe that contributes to the orange tips and growth?

dragons breath.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some in a small seahorse tank that I couldn't kill if I tried.....the lights weren't strong at all. There were elevated nutrients though.....maybe that contributes to the orange tips and growth?

dragons breath.jpg

Is this the orange tips you are referring to? It doesn’t look orange tip to me. Halymenia can grow fast and not have orange tips. There are many differrent species of Halymenia. Your shrub is very healthy looking. I think it is a Pacific variety, Halymenia dilatata. Halymenia should be gelatinous and smoth in texture, almost slippery to the touch.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back