Drain setup options 225g

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a used 225g it’s drilled for a single 1.5” and two 1”. I was thinking of using the 1.5” for the two 3/4 loc lines going back to the tanks. And one 1” setup for full siphon and the other for emergency. It’s a single corner overflow box. Just wondering how that sounds or is there better way of doing it. Thanks.

E0368944-2D03-4D23-8213-270DD0E7F09D.jpeg 87C89127-7B34-4714-BFCD-F7B9EF6FEF01.jpeg

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would use all three as drains and run a return over the back. Or I would use the 1.5 and a 1 inch drains and only return at 1 inch.

OP
OP
Garets92553

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t want to run anything over the top. It’s euro braced and hate the pipes going over. That’s how my 120 is now. Would the 1” return be enough to tee off into the 2 3/4” loc lines. Just not sure if I would get enough flow back into the tank. Thanks for the help

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really don’t want to run anything over the top. It’s euro braced and hate the pipes going over. That’s how my 120 is now. Would the 1” return be enough to tee off into the 2 3/4” loc lines. Just not sure if I would get enough flow back into the tank. Thanks for the help
The 1' inch would be enough to tee off 2 3/4. I am running my plumbing over the back with my mega drain and teeing off 1 1 in myself but it will remain 1 inch I don't want to throttle the return any more than what it will be. I understand not many like the idea of over the back whereas I don't mind. You gotta configure your tank to make YOU happy considering you gotta look at it :)

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flow rate are you trying to achieve with the overflow/returns? Depending on that, you might be ok feeding two 3/4" loc lines with a 1" return from your pump, as long as the 1" line can handle the flow.

If the glass isn't tempered you could drill two new holes for the returns, and use the three holes in the overflow to set up a beananimal.

You would need to know the target flow rate to determine is a 1" siphon dropping that small distance to your sump will give you the flow you want. Most likely the answer is "yes". You could then set up a herbie system using the 1" for the siphon, put a gate valve on it to tune it, and use the 1.5" for the emergency.

Lots of options - start with your flow rate and go from there.

OP
OP
Garets92553

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had room to drill more holes but I don’t. My return pump is a Jebao 15000 I can adjust the flow rate. So if I do 10x turn over. Between 2300-3000. My drain should be a straight shot down into my sump maybe 2 45*’s same With my return pump. Returns will mainly be for surface.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the flow rate chart for that pump, 2300 gph through a 1" pipe assuming the lift is 4ft may not work. You would probably have to use the 1.5" pipe and split that at the tank.

I do not have any experience with that pump, so the rest of this is theory/experience. The flow through the siphon is also going to be a challenge. There used to be a very handy calculator on a different website that calculated flow rates for siphons, but that seems to be gone now.

Anyway, it will be hard to achieve 2300gph through a 1" siphon with the small drop you have between the DT and the sump (looks like at most 4 ft?). If I did the math right, the theoretical limit for a siphon through a 1" pipe (not including friction, etc) is right about 2300, assuming a four ft drop.

To get the kind of flow you are looking for, you could use the 1/5" for the return line, use two of the 1" lines for the siphons, and use the third 1" line as the emergency, but that seems risky.

You may want to rethink that flow rate. I have a 220 DT, and my return flow is about 1200gph through the sump, and it is plenty. You can achieve the rest of the flow you want in the tank by placing a few power heads where you want them - much better flow current and control that way as well.

Back