Dried coral

rob2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been setting up my new reef tank and it has been difficult to buy rock. I bought dead coral at a store and put it in the tank, is that ok to do???

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been setting up my new reef tank and it has been difficult to buy rock. I bought dead coral at a store and put it in the tank, is that ok to do???
Yes

Personally prefer 'dead' like you just did to 'live' because I prefer to control what goes into my tank. If the root of your question was concerning nitrifying bacteria, you can always add from bottle if you are seeking to speed up process.

This is a great reference article as reference books seem hard to find:

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends if its been treated. If it is actual dead coral skeleton that hasnt been treated should be safe to use

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy it at a home goods store ? If so I wouldn’t they usually are coated with something that can be harmful to a tank

OP
OP
rob2010

rob2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy it at a home goods store ? If so I wouldn’t they usually are coated with something that can be harmful to a tank
No I bought it in a store in Tarpon Springs that sells sponges etc

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes

Personally prefer 'dead' like you just did to 'live' because I prefer to control what goes into my tank. If the root of your question was concerning nitrifying bacteria, you can always add from bottle if you are seeking to speed up process.

This is a great reference article as reference books seem hard to find:
I vastly prefer live rock to dead rock, I don’t find the potential pests/hitchhikers to be unmanageable and the benefits (bacterial diversity, microfauna, faster tank maturity) to far outweigh the negatives/risks. In my experience, you simply cannot get the bacterial diversity and the stability that comes with it from a bottle.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back