Drifting alk reagent?

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on vacation for 12 days, got home and just tested my alk. Hanna read 8.7 before i left, 11.0 today. Redsea reads 9.2.... i checked the hanna with standard solution, its spot on. I also did a small, maybe 2 gal WC. Fluval 13.5 dosing All For Reef. Should i trust the hanna? Does reagent drift over time?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes (trust, but verify) and yes, reagents are known to drift. With the Hanna you can have all sorts of variances, from the black line being printed at different heights on the vials (use a syringe measurement instead), how clean the vial is, any fingerprints on it, etc. And the reagents can drift. I always like to have a backup titration test kit to keep the Hanna honest.

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes (trust, but verify) and yes, reagents are known to drift. With the Hanna you can have all sorts of variances, from the black line being printed at different heights on the vials (use a syringe measurement instead), how clean the vial is, any fingerprints on it, etc. And the reagents can drift. I always like to have a backup titration test kit to keep the Hanna honest.
I try to be as precice as possible, only using one vile, for as long as i can until the line fades. Filling so that the bottom curve of the water is almost perfect with the line. I even rince the cuvette the same way every time. I try to be very accurate... i do have another bottle of reagent, but i didnt want to open it just to double check. I did notice my Ph was low, 8.0, and found the venturi fitting was partially pluged reducing air flow through my Co2 scrubber. Fixed the air flow and Ph went back to 8.4. Im guessing that reduced Ph will lead in increasing alk levels?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the bottle of reagent been open?

A small PH (.3) fluctuation wouldn't cause your ALK to rise that high unless consumption changed. I would open the other bottle and verify.

Just had to do this myself. Got an odd reading from my already open bottle, tested again, got the same number. I have several in my cupboard, so I opened a new bottle, and got roughly the same reading. Also used a salifert titration test, and again got the same number. I knew my ALK had jumped, but no idea why, and verified my reading with 2 other test. I would never trust a single data point, and most certainly would never react(shut my doser off for a day or 2 till I'm back in line where I like to keep things), without a second, or even third confirmation.

Remember stability is more important then any particular number.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing that reduced Ph will lead in increasing alk levels?

With fixed alk dosing, that will likely be true since both biological and abiotic demand for alk can be reduced as pH declines.

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days later, other than fixing the venturi on my skimmer, nothing has been done. Alk down to 9.5, Ph 8.2-8.5. Gotta love the simple fixes

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back