Drilled holes aren't clean.

Kristonenicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My OCD kicks in after realizing that my cuts aren't as clean as I expected, even tho I made sure to take my time. The edges of the hole have pieces of glass that broke off. I'm not too concerned because o-rings are on the outside of the tank. I'm about to do a water leak test but I wanted to know if I'll have problems down the road. Thanks in advance!
8f330ef75d23bedecc03b7c876c1f345.jpg
5407b28c3e78e69aea11b88e433cc01a.jpg
ceec6d2bc36d092a05675a6044732ad9.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chip-outs don't look that bad. Not familiar with that overflow, but gaskets always go on the flange side of the bulkhead. You'll be fine.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks for the peace of mind!
I would take some fine sand paper and clean up the edges before I install the overflow gaskets. The glass may cut into the gaskets over time.

Agree with everyone, you got this!!!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look too bad. There is almost always a little bit of chipping right at the end of the cut.

And I second that the gasket goes in the inside of the tank. At least every bulkhead I've put in, that's where it goes.

On a side note, Jake Adams did a video on cutting holes a little while back, and he drilled from the inside out. His rationale was that there is always a little bit of chipping, and he would rather have it on the outside than the inside. This way the gallery had the smoothest surface possible to sit on.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for future reference, usually The best way ive found to combat that chipping would be to clamp a 2x4 to the back side of the glass when you drill it. So the bit will go thru the glass and the 2x4 will provide support to the glass and prevent it from chipping and blowing out the back when it makes it thru. :)

OP
OP
K

Kristonenicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for future reference, usually The best way ive found to combat that chipping would be to clamp a 2x4 to the back side of the glass when you drill it. So the bit will go thru the glass and the 2x4 will provide support to the glass and prevent it from chipping and blowing out the back when it makes it thru. :)
That definitely would have helped! Next time [emoji23]

OP
OP
K

Kristonenicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look too bad. There is almost always a little bit of chipping right at the end of the cut.

And I second that the gasket goes in the inside of the tank. At least every bulkhead I've put in, that's where it goes.

On a side note, Jake Adams did a video on cutting holes a little while back, and he drilled from the inside out. His rationale was that there is always a little bit of chipping, and he would rather have it on the outside than the inside. This way the gallery had the smoothest surface possible to sit on.
Actually, for the Xaqua INOUT, the gaskets go on the outside of the tank. Weird huh? I guess I lucked out drilling from the outside!
c47a64b05e64a709f0efeab92b585ce5.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, for the Xaqua INOUT, the gaskets go on the outside of the tank. Weird huh? I guess I lucked out drilling from the outside!
c47a64b05e64a709f0efeab92b585ce5.jpg

You did luck it then!

But I wouldn't worry about those small chips. You can always put a dab of silicone on them if you're worried about the overflow sealing completely

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a uns tank? I have a 90u that I'm hoping to drill, I sent an email to uns and am waiting on a response to see if it's tempered.
..you can check the glass panel to see if it's tempered by putting a laptop or cell phone screen (turned on) behind the glass and look thru it with polarized sunglasses you should see a rainbow of streaks if its tempered. Also if you can see the edge of the glass if it's green that's usually another indication. Hope this helps and welcome to R2R.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much help now...but as someone already mentioned above...using a piece of wood clamped on the exit side helps minimize breakout.

Personally, I don't think those holes look that bad...I wouldn't be worried.

OP
OP
K

Kristonenicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much help now...but as someone already mentioned above...using a piece of wood clamped on the exit side helps minimize breakout.

Personally, I don't think those holes look that bad...I wouldn't be worried.

Literally hundreds of holes drilled and had maybe one or two in glass under 3/8" that was chip free.

You did good!

:)

thanks guys!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks OK To me as well. the best way to avoid this from happening is Run the drill be thru a few pieces of scrap glass or use a conditioning block on the bit. Also fast speed with NO Pressure. Sand those chips down to prevent them from tearing the Bulkhead seal , Cutting your fingers and spreading..

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My OCD kicks in after realizing that my cuts aren't as clean as I expected, even tho I made sure to take my time. The edges of the hole have pieces of glass that broke off. I'm not too concerned because o-rings are on the outside of the tank. I'm about to do a water leak test but I wanted to know if I'll have problems down the road. Thanks in advance!
8f330ef75d23bedecc03b7c876c1f345.jpg
5407b28c3e78e69aea11b88e433cc01a.jpg
ceec6d2bc36d092a05675a6044732ad9.jpg
I just happened to come across your post and I was wondering how that overflow worked out for you? I almost bought one but I was concerned that I wouldn't have any control over the water level in my tank because of the design

OP
OP
K

Kristonenicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just happened to come across your post and I was wondering how that overflow worked out for you? I almost bought one but I was concerned that I wouldn't have any control over the water level in my tank because of the design

I like it. It's a straightforward, simple, and minimalistic overflow. It took about a month to break in and is now pretty quiet. The overall quality could be better, as some of the tabs that area used to tighten the bulkhead broke off, but this doesn't interfere with operation. As for controlling the water height, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that with most overflows you aren't able to control the water level. However, the water level is determined by the GPH of your return.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back