Drilling glass

Duane Fagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need information on where I can drill a 29 gallon glass aquarium. I want to drill 3 3/4 holes along the top back panel and one 1/2 hole on the same panel but on the bottom can I do this will it work? Where should I drill that panel and what about spacing

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should lay out you bulkhead fittings or make paper or cardboard templates the size of you bulkhead fittings and lay them out on the tank. You want to make sure you have room for the bulkhead flange and nut between each hols and so you don't hit the rim. You also need to make sure you can drill the glass. You cannot drill tempered glass, it will shatter. You should limit the number of holes to only the ones absolutely needed. The bulkhead fitting will provide strength for the missing glass but each hole you drill you run the risk of cracking the glass.

OP
OP
Duane Fagan

Duane Fagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all that stuff but I don't know if I can drill in the lay out I posted. All on back panel. 3 3/4 holes on top and 1 1/2 hole on the bottom of the back panel is this good idea or bad idea

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing preventing you from doing that is whether or not the glass is tempered.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to keep your holes 1-1.5x the diameter of the holes, away from any seam and another hole. also, bulkheads not not add any support or strength.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back