Drilling question from a plumbing noob!

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

I'm planning to set up my first drilled tank, a 50g bowfront. I've decided on a Herbie style drain. My question is: what are the pros and cons of drilling two holes in the tank with the two pipes hooked up directly to the tank VS. one hole in the tank leading to an external box with the two pipes as shown in this thread?

Thanks in advance!

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s harder to reach the bottom of my internal overflow box than it would be an external one, Room in the aquarium, and probably making sure the two bulkheads fit after drilling holes (I’ve seen a couple fails there lol).

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand it would be best to have an overflow box on the inside as well right? So I could have a thin surface layer of water flowing over a weir yes? But if the standpipes are outside the tank I could make that internal box quite thin?

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I did some research and turns out I wouldn't save that much if I try to make something like that myself. :( I might buy a kit then.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I did some research and turns out I wouldn't save that much if I try to make something like that myself. :( I might buy a kit then.
I've recently come to the same conclusion. I CAN make pretty much anything, but in the end, The product I would be making is already readily available at a reasonable price with all the engineering done on it.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love making things myself too but sometimes buying the supplies at retail prices means it costs the same if not more than buying something ready-made! Everything is just so expensive nowadays.

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my overflow stuff and like I said I wish I had went with an off the shelf external box....way more positives. I don’t have any leaks, but my internal box sort of messes with flow.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

Before I go and buy a kit, I'm a bit uneasy about the weight of the overflow box, pipes and the water in them being supported just by the glass. Or does one have to support the pipes from the bottom when they enter the sump?

Elson26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the glass thickness of your 50g tank ? you dont have to worry about supporting the pipes from the bottom when they enter the sump. it will be able to handle the weight by itself. i've a few HOB overflow box laying around if you're interested hit me up.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

Before I go and buy a kit, I'm a bit uneasy about the weight of the overflow box, pipes and the water in them being supported just by the glass. Or does one have to support the pipes from the bottom when they enter the sump?
I think this fear is unwarranted. The bulkhead spreads the load of a low weight piece of equipment. You don't need to support plumbing as it comes down, but I also don't know why you wouldn't. Cleaner look imo.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. The glass is 6mm thick.

It's just my first time setting up a plumbed system so I'm worried I'll mess something up. I couldn't find any good info or images of how to support the drain lines at the bottom. Anyone have some tips they could share?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back