Herbie Overflow in Eshopps Eclipse (M)

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm plumbing a new tank with an Eshopps Eclipse overflow (medium size, 2x 1" drains). I've drilled/installed two 3/4" return lines and the 1.5" main bulkhead for the external overflow. I could use advice for the actual drain plumbing within the external overflow box.

I am debating whether to install a 180 degree turn like a Durso or leave a straight drain. The official Herbie documentation says a 6"+ difference in height between the siphon and emergency drain is required - which seems to argue for a simpler setup with the drain right in the bottom of the overflow and a riser for the emergency drain.

Which of these two setups looks more correct?

1) Straight drain
2016-05-30%2014.39.28.jpg

2) durso style 180
2016-05-30%2014.31.36.jpg

The rationale for 6" of difference in height seems to be giving yourself room for fluctuating water levels when you're adjusting the siphon drain vs. the return flow. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered the same overflow box for a new QT system and I was planning on using your option #2, but was wondering the same thing. I'll follow along to see what responses you get.

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered the same overflow box for a new QT system and I was planning on using your option #2, but was wondering the same thing. I'll follow along to see what responses you get.

I'll keep the thread updated. Since I have hardware for both options and I never glue anything on the wet-side of the bulkheads I may experiment with both and post my results. I'll probably start with option #1 and see how it goes.

This tank is in our living room, so preventing noise/splashing is a design requirement for the overflow and the sump intake.

Perhaps some of the plumbing experts in [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] can lend an opinion.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll keep the thread updated. Since I have hardware for both options and I never glue anything on the wet-side of the bulkheads I may experiment with both and post my results. I'll probably start with option #1 and see how it goes.

This tank is in our living room, so preventing noise/splashing is a design requirement for the overflow and the sump intake.

Perhaps some of the plumbing experts in [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] can lend an opinion.
Personally i like the herbie, but regardless with a gate valve you could make it silent

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow up on this post with my results, now that my tank is plumbed and has been running for a few days. I am running a Jebaoo DCS-12000 return pump into a 1" line, teed into 2x3/4" return lines. I'm only able to run this at about 60% without overpowering the 1" siphon drain fully open.

I initially tried option #1 shown above (strainer directly into bulkhead drain, emergency drain with open standpipe. However, the strainer caused problems due to it's height and as a restriction on the flow. The height of the strainer caused obstructions in the surface of the water in the overflow making it more likely to suck air and gurgle. Additionally, there was a lot of turbulence inside the external overflow with the strainer.

I ended up removing the strainer and putting a small 45deg PVC elbow into the 1.5" main bulkhead to direct the flow toward the emergency drain and not directly into the main siphon drain to avoid turbulence/vortex that was sucking some air. I'm not running the 1" siphon drain at about 95% open. I would guestimate this is flowing about 1000gph (slightly above full siphon capacity for the single 1" drain with a trickle down the open emergency drain).

I'll keep posting as I get more data and experience with this setup. I think the short depth of the small external overflow box limits your options in terms of durso style 180 drains and strainers.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled my 125 for the large version of this overflow. I should have it wet in about a week. I'll also post with my results. I am planning to have a Herbie drain with a full siphon, trickle and emergency drain.

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled my 125 for the large version of this overflow. I should have it wet in about a week. I'll also post with my results. I am planning to have a Herbie drain with a full siphon, trickle and emergency drain.

Let me know how it goes.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it mounted and plumbed into my sump. No leaks around the gaskets and tank but I've only put a few gallons through it. I'll get my return plumbed tomorrow and should be able to do a real test Tuesday or Wednesday.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine setup and running. The way I have the drains is completely quiet. There is a splashing noise from the inside of the tank where the water flows into the box. On a different tank I had a glass holes overflow and it came with enkamat to soften this splashing. In my case this is going to be an in wall tank and I am going to wait and see how loud the sound is from the room.

My Eheim 1262 is at 100% and can't keep the siphon filled without me closing down the valve on the siphon return line. I am going to experiment making both the emergency drain and trickle drain taller so I can make the water level higher. I am hoping this will help with the noise in the overflow.

oq7fZ1qzP6cxBSWhT8KEX1BlJPmSftBUe9BwQZFgoSAm76TbqDLYYdTf_2aaTEOqdy4emFSNTXq8DSFI0vbicL9Mqs73FXIo2UVbXw_dx4ZMNBbwzGC3Ue7PZqQO_pHeaGUEIEA9NmR05MMB9i12652zCATR29ZqhQ2awfu1iF6K_3JdGcAnb6JOLdYte55huKIBjmGNf4DiMC7AjYSFZ89OkdNelIFxHEy-DItlfceipCIP7-0qPTAdSaSt0KOfp81b7LRP9Hr8_-287-hIqy6VmdIF_SBV8TCUKi88GjraWPMYMOPLdPXqwC1aV_htT3pxZt6XO41msDEBceuBVZ0PRsirXn1n0Ue3NWJmrXuawMB_rMOD-Izuu3b3YTkd98DOob4NsxB0rW67tZVqjgta7-7eBehBtE9SsgK0G9dLD17DDKQZgT1bA1wosW4gsOfdzYFreBvXDsCiAxQIdoDa4rLRzjYDH88gy4N7wbq_P5WdPbSdamzlSdW-aJmjz5v1762lFkVqMj0zrOqNCU1in9iAz_CMYyayM3Uqw7P-57Px8WVf1CHgKmbdt-lqkK6rdsO_h6Ag8rSDYN3z0MhFufZnzvl9=w1316-h987-no

Last edited:
OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running mine with just the emergency straight pipe and open bulkhead since my previous post.

I run a lot of flow from the returns, so I saw strong turbulence in the external side of the overflow box, causing a vortex around the main drain that could suck air. To address this, I inserted a 1" 45 degree elbow fitting inside the 1.5" bulkhead feeding the external overflow box, and turned it to direct the inflow away from the main drain. This effectively prevented the vortex and air being sucked into the main siphon drain. The small hose in the top of the overflow lid is my ATO inlet hose.

2016-07-06%2015.42.51.jpg

Here's a picture of the internal overflow and two 3/4" return lines:

2016-07-06%2015.43.52.jpg

And finally the 1" plumbing to the sump drains and from the sump 1" return, T-ed into two 3/4" lines.

2016-07-06%2015.43.52.jpg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Overflow , I am considering getting one from my upgrade to my Glassholes.com overflow , they both use a 1.5in bulkhead. Thats why I am considering one , I am thinking the S size.

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Overflow , I am considering getting one from my upgrade to my Glassholes.com overflow , they both use a 1.5in bulkhead. Thats why I am considering one , I am thinking the S size.

It's worked out well for us and I think it's a real value for the money (vs. ghost overflow or reef savvy). The quality of the materials and assembly were excellent. Having a 1.5" bulkhead in the middle of the low profile overflow can be noisier if you don't run a lot of flow through it.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large model is completely silent with an Eheim 1260 pump on my 125g tank. I tried an Eheim 1262 that I have and while the box and drain could easily handle the flow it was extremely loud. Earlier in this thread I post that I used a 1262 but it was actually my 1260.

I tried the 1262 for a few days and went back to the 1260. I don't need an insane amount of flow into my sump and I honestly didn't feel like messing with the overflow anymore.

I am happy with it for the price.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your drain isn't silent then your gate valve is set incorrectly. If your hearing air/bubbles/gurgling you need to close the valve more.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I wasn't clear, it isn't the drain that is loud, is the water flowing from the tank through the weir through the two 1.5" bulkheads in the tank. With the amount of water the 1262 pushes it sounds like a waterfall.

The drain with the 1262 is completely silent once set properly. The drain isn't the issue.

Glass holes overflows use enkamat to silence the sound of water falling into the overflow and through the bulkheads. That might work in my case but it is so loud I doubt it will help much.

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, it was easy to silence the herbie 1" drains themselves in this setup, but the noise from the overflow into the 1.5" bulkhead is louder at lower flows for me (when the 1.5" bulkhead isn't completely submerged).

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly the issue. With the amount of water the 1262 moves I'd need the 1.5" bulkheads probably 1" lower in the tank to be completely submerged. That would put the weir 1" lower in my tank and the water level would be really low.

With the 1260 and the drilling I did the water level is perfect and silent which is why I gave up on trying to silence the 1262. I wanted the top of the water hidden in my frame and it is.
t4u6oORh.jpg

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly the issue. With the amount of water the 1262 moves I'd need the 1.5" bulkheads probably 1" lower in the tank to be completely submerged. That would put the weir 1" lower in my tank and the water level would be really low.

With the 1260 and the drilling I did the water level is perfect and silent which is why I gave up on trying to silence the 1262. I wanted the top of the water hidden in my frame and it is.
t4u6oORh.jpg

That is an amazing home office! You're lucky to work in a space like that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back