Herbie Overflow in Eshopps Eclipse (M)

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! When I decided up upgrade my tank the idea of an in-wall in my office got stuck in my head. I'm glad I went through with it. My #1 priority was that it was dead silent and except for the Jebao cross flow pump I am trying out it is.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much that's a lot of useful formation. I am running the smallest Waveline do pump @ about 660gph with my glassholes.com 700gph overflow and I can at times still hear the water coming through the the 1.5in pvc into the sump , like a lil waterfall. It is quite but not silent. I even tried to line up a ghost overflow with the predrilled hole (glass holes of)on my tank and the ghost overflow was a little to tall. So that's why I am thinking the eshopps over flow . It is the same measurement as my glass holes over flow . So I may get one later and try to see if they will line up and match on the holes., later on.

looneeii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running mine with just the emergency straight pipe and open bulkhead since my previous post.

I run a lot of flow from the returns, so I saw strong turbulence in the external side of the overflow box, causing a vortex around the main drain that could suck air. To address this, I inserted a 1" 45 degree elbow fitting inside the 1.5" bulkhead feeding the external overflow box, and turned it to direct the inflow away from the main drain. This effectively prevented the vortex and air being sucked into the main siphon drain. The small hose in the top of the overflow lid is my ATO inlet hose.

2016-07-06%2015.42.51.jpg

Did you glue the 1" 45 degree fittings in place or not? I'm thinking of doing the same but can't seem to make it stay in place.

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you glue the 1" 45 degree fittings in place or not? I'm thinking of doing the same but can't seem to make it stay in place.

I did not glue any fittings in the overflow. The only glued fittings are on the exterior bulkhead connections.

In my setup, the 45deg elbow is held in place between the mouth of the 1.5" main tank bulkhead and the back of the overflow box. It's loose and can rotate a bit. The role it serves is primary to redirect flow away from the open siphon drain, which prevent a whirlpool/air getting sucked in and it also reduces the flow slightly from the internal side of the overflow. I personally suspect this setup might have been better with 1" bulkheads all around - 1" from internal/external and 2x 1" external drains.

The 1.5" internal/external bulkhead flows too much, which results in more noise and lower internal overflow water levels for my application. So, I suspect artificially reducing the aperture of the internal/external bulkhead with a restrictor might be helpful as long as your main siphon drain gets full flow.

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how ya'll like this overflow? Pros, cons? would you purchase again? also, what is the big difference between this and the synergy reef ones besides price?

looneeii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how ya'll like this overflow? Pros, cons? would you purchase again? also, what is the big difference between this and the synergy reef ones besides price?

I admit that this over flow is good but the only and somewhat annoying issue is that I had to improvise with 45 degree plumbing to quiet the water sound from the weir into the overflow box. Even at that I still have to run a trickle from the emergency overflow into my sump to get it to "near silent".

joeby97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cut new pvc pieces longer than the ones that come with the overflow box and use them as your emergency height you can dial the water level to be higher in the box. So its not midway up the bulkhead making tons of noise. The water level will come through the bulkheads at the top. No noise. And running it herbie will make everything dead silent.

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running mine with just the emergency straight pipe and open bulkhead since my previous post.

I run a lot of flow from the returns, so I saw strong turbulence in the external side of the overflow box, causing a vortex around the main drain that could suck air. To address this, I inserted a 1" 45 degree elbow fitting inside the 1.5" bulkhead feeding the external overflow box, and turned it to direct the inflow away from the main drain. This effectively prevented the vortex and air being sucked into the main siphon drain. The small hose in the top of the overflow lid is my ATO inlet hose.

2016-07-06%2015.42.51.jpg

Here's a picture of the internal overflow and two 3/4" return lines:

2016-07-06%2015.43.52.jpg

And finally the 1" plumbing to the sump drains and from the sump 1" return, T-ed into two 3/4" lines.

2016-07-06%2015.43.52.jpg
heh, old thread, but I cannot thank you enough!!

Adding the 45 degree fitting worked for me, where extending the emergency drain pipe did not. It felt like the box was not tall enough to prevent the main drain from whirlpooling & sucking down air. Perhaps part of my problem was running too much flow on the return pumps, but I'm using ac return pumps and my small sump space makes it kind of a pain to go in & adjust

trying

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get pics of everyone's final process on you did it. Iam starting to plum (2) 50 gallon low boys with a eclipse m on both.
Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back