Driving Miss Coral

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to Reefapalooza in Anaheim this weekend and hoping to pick up some pieces. Making the drive up to the SF Bay Area the same day. Wanted to know if the coral will be safe in small cooler in an air-conditioned car for 6-8 hours. Should I put them in a styrofoam box instead of a cooler (have many from online coral purchases). Do I need to drop some ice cubes in there to cool down the temp?

TIA for any tips.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a cooler or box will be fine I would not use Ice I run my tank 78- 80 Im sure your car will not exceed that temperature. I wish I could go have to leave country for a wedding and I live 15 minutes away.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either or will work , just keep it out of the sun by maybe putting a towel over it . I wouldn’t think ice unless your ac is broke or doesn’t cool the car down to at least 78 - 76 degrees .when you stop for gas or to eat you may consider the cooler with a handle to take it inside with you . I’ve done that before . Keep in mind when they ship coral it’s usually in a box in a hot truck or warehouse for a day or two which I’m sure not only do they have to use cool pack but the get beat up and tossed around . You should be fine as long as you maintain temp in the car with you ac .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back