Dry ice?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the dry ice below the top edge of the tank, CO2 is heavy and will sink. Also the white mist that forms is mostly water vapor that has frozen to suspended ice crystals.

You'll be fine if you keep the dry ice below sea level and away from the intake of your skimmer :D and have a fan or something to circulate the air if it is inside. Keep your door open so it has somewhere to go.

However, I would not recommend using a fog machine anywhere near a reef aquarium, no telling what is in those mixtures since they can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dry ice is just solid CO2 which is why it is so cold. When it sits in air, there is no reaction, as it is simply melting. The by product of the sublimation (solid -> gas) is gaseous CO2. This is naturally found in your reef water but in excess it will lower your PH.

On the other hand, dropping it in water will actually have a chemical reaction and creates an acid (can’t remember the name). This acid should remain in the container, but you definitely don’t want this finding its way into your tank.

Also note what nautical_nathaniel said - you need to give the CO2 somewhere to go. It is denser than air so it will pool on the floor of the room. If not properly ventilated, it can create high levels and be very dangerous to people.

OP
OP
Texas Reefer

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers! I plan to have it in a separate room, and there will be many kids running in and out, so no way it's just going to sit around. I've never used it before, so I needed some answers.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers! I plan to have it in a separate room, and there will be many kids running in and out, so no way it's just going to sit around. I've never used it before, so I needed some answers.
You should be okay then, good luck with your party! You'll probably have to worry about fingerprints on the tank more than the dry ice causing any issues haha

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back