Dry Reef Rock: What are your thoughts?

I've done both Live and Dry rock and they both have their advantages.
My first tank was a 125 done all with live rock, basically because 20 years ago dry rock wasn't even an issue.
The 55 gallon tank I'm running now was about 85% dry rock and the rest from my 14 gallon BioCube, which was already cured and used to seed the dry rock.

Dry Rock has no hitchhiker (beneficial or detrimental), there fore you are pretty sure you are not going to have aiptasia, bubble algae, flat worms, bristle worms, limpets.

Properly cured and cycled Live Rock derived from a quality retailer is a pleasure to deal with and I would go that way again, but the problem is it's tough to find someone who actually takes the time to cure the rock properly.

I used to get it from a shop were one of the partners would go out and collect it weekly (prior to all the legal mumbo jumbo) and then they would cure it in huge vats or old hot tubs for 30-60 days and then they would bring it into the shop to sell.

Most retailers just want to turn it around and make their profit.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new