Dry Reef Saver

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just returned from my LFS. I have a Biocube 29 with 25 lbs of dry reef saver rock, live sand, dosed Seachem Stability first 7 days and feeding tank with fish flakes. (This is only Day 21 of tank cycle) LFS told me my dry rock is useless and I need 30 lbs of the live rock they sell. Logically I know that's not true, I've seen tanks with only dry rock but a little reassurance would calm my nerves.

Thanks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just returned from my LFS. I have a Biocube 29 with 25 lbs of dry reef saver rock, live sand, dosed Seachem Stability first 7 days and feeding tank with fish flakes. (This is only Day 21 of tank cycle) LFS told me my dry rock is useless and I need 30 lbs of the live rock they sell. Logically I know that's not true, I've seen tanks with only dry rock but a little reassurance would calm my nerves.

Thanks.
Sorry. looks like your going to need a new LFS.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, and he just wants to sell you a product so you'll feel more comfortable adding live stock which he also wants to sell you, along with the products you'll need to keep that live stock.

IMO avoid unwanted pest and stick to the dry rock.

What are your values of ammonia, nitrite or nitrates?

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most lfs live rock is garbage anyway, its a bacteria scorce, not much live on there.

And yes, new may want a new lfs lol.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock has advantages over live rock. It is cheaper. You can select from a wide variety of types of dry rock. All it needs is cycling to make it fully functional in an aquarium. Now dry rock takes time to cycle. But the advantages out weigh that minor constraint.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dry rock is fine to use. It will take longer to get that nice color to it, but it will be fine. I like being able to put my scape together and epoxy it outside of the tank. win for dry rock!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS EVERYONE!

I feel much better about my decision. :)
At one of the many LFS im blessed with. there was a young man who was always very eager to share is knowledge. :)
so much so I nick named him "Skillet":rolleyes:
His info was generally wrong. totally opinionated, based on I don't know what facebook group, and never science.:confused:
I have a large collection of vintage cast Iron pans. 1920's to 1950's. I like to cook.:D
My favorite is the 1964 12in Skillet. :cool:
its what I wanted to hit him with.o_O

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one of the many LFS im blessed with. there was a young man who was always very eager to share is knowledge. :)
so much so I nick named him "Skillet":rolleyes:
His info was generally wrong. totally opinionated, based on I don't know what facebook group, and never science.:confused:
I have a large collection of vintage cast Iron pans. 1920's to 1950's. I like to cook.:D
My favorite is the 1964 12in Skillet. :cool:
its what I wanted to hit him with.o_O

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wish I could help but I'm in Brownwood and there doesn't seem to much around here except to head into Austin, I know there is a few reefer here in Brownwood and abilene

I'll be in Austin during Christmas. I'm hoping to have time to check out a shop or two.
If you're ever in San Angelo shoot me a message.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back