Dry rock and Live rock question

BRS

riche

View Badges
Reaction score
So I am setting up a 90 gallon tank and I have all the dry rock I need.

So My question is if I put some established Live Rock in the sump with that seed the Dry rock in a timely manner or should it be put into the display with the dry rock?

I'm Not trying to skip anything and will do the cycle as I am going SLOW with this build to make it right.

Thanks Rich

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
If your attempting to seed, I would start with the live rock in the DT with dry rock. In a few months when you see CCA spores then you can relocate your LR to the sump if you wanted to

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score

So My question is if I put some established Live Rock in the sump with that seed the Dry rock in a timely manner or should it be put into the display with the dry rock?

I'm Not trying to skip anything and will do the cycle as I am going SLOW with this build to make it right.

Thanks Ric

Top Shelf Aquatics

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
I would not reason dry rock has none of the unknowns buy adding live rock things could change just wait it out. I took my dry rock about 7 months and keep and keep clam happy reefing.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score

Thanks Rich
That was the way we did it for decades. It works great. The bottled bacteria method is just trying to emulate adding liverock.

OutLawX77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok been reading just adding my 2 cents here. I built my tank as sterile as I could. within reason of course.
the following is how I set up my Dry rock tank set up.
I set up my Dry Rock 75 gal tank.
Before I added the rock. I sterilized it. Cooking it in a bleach actually pool chlorine 2 gals to 25 gallons of water for 2 wks.
then Changed the water out. flushed 3 x once a day 3 days.
then I added a dechlorinator flushed for 3x once a day 3 days.
Let the rock dry out in the sun outside covered for 2 wks.
Then added it back to a 25 gal can. filled with RO tested for chlorine x3 in a 3 day. ALL GOOD. then flushed out in RODI 2 flushes in 2 days in a 3 day stant..tested for chlorine again.
Added the rock to my tank.
Made the salt mix to 35 ppm Added the water to my tank.
Tested the system NO LEAKS, equipment is all good, we're good to go.
Ran the tank for 2 wks to make sure all is working correctly. NO LIGHTS
Then did a fishless cycle. 7 days all good to go. My total water is 105 gal system. I used turbostart 900 with Dr. Tim's Ammonia for the fishless cycle. NO Filters of any kind.
Then did a 90% water change expecting my fish to arrive on a day after this but was delayed by 4 days due to the weather. So I basically lost most of my bacteria.
So when my Phantom Clowns arrived which I got from "Cultivated Reef", I just added Turbostart 900 as directed No circulation pumps running just powerheads. for the first day them pump came up on line 30% flo.
No lights during this time so the lights stayed off or two months.
Fish doing great eating 2 to 3xs a day. I turned on the lights 3 wks ago. All Blue no other colors. no algae good now
4 days ago a added white at 20 % No algae cristyle clear water quality. but keeping a sharp eye on this for right now(.)
NOW as for adding that "live rock" form wherever you may have gotten it from.
What could go wrong I wonder.
sorry no bugs hitchhikers for me thank you.
So I will be using ARC's Coraline purple and pink in a bottle. " NO UNINVITED GUEST.
As I said earlier just my 2 cents.
I guess that you could Dip the rock for a day in a coral dip bath extra strong then flush but there is aways eggs.
Quarent tank the rock for a month before adding to main DT. it took you this long to get here don't jump the gun now I got fire worms in a tank by using a so call live rock from a dealer. Messed up my whole tank . Killed off a lot of critters So I Say no no no TO LIVE ROCK FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S TANK. lOTS OF PLURES THAT DAY i CAN TELL YA....
Dip IT ! Quarent IT for a muth the dip rise install. good luck to ya

Zoanthids

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok been reading just adding my 2 cents here. I built my tank as sterile as I could. within reason of course.
the following is how I set up my Dry rock tank set up.
I set up my Dry Rock 75 gal tank.
Before I added the rock. I sterilized it. Cooking it in a bleach actually pool chlorine 2 gals to 25 gallons of water for 2 wks.
then Changed the water out. flushed 3 x once a day 3 days.
then I added a dechlorinator flushed for 3x once a day 3 days.
Let the rock dry out in the sun outside covered for 2 wks.
Then added it back to a 25 gal can. filled with RO tested for chlorine x3 in a 3 day. ALL GOOD. then flushed out in RODI 2 flushes in 2 days in a 3 day stant..tested for chlorine again.
Added the rock to my tank.
Made the salt mix to 35 ppm Added the water to my tank.
Tested the system NO LEAKS, equipment is all good, we're good to go.
Ran the tank for 2 wks to make sure all is working correctly. NO LIGHTS
Then did a fishless cycle. 7 days all good to go. My total water is 105 gal system. I used turbostart 900 with Dr. Tim's Ammonia for the fishless cycle. NO Filters of any kind.
Then did a 90% water change expecting my fish to arrive on a day after this but was delayed by 4 days due to the weather. So I basically lost most of my bacteria.
So when my Phantom Clowns arrived which I got from "Cultivated Reef", I just added Turbostart 900 as directed No circulation pumps running just powerheads. for the first day them pump came up on line 30% flo.
No lights during this time so the lights stayed off or two months.
Fish doing great eating 2 to 3xs a day. I turned on the lights 3 wks ago. All Blue no other colors. no algae good now
4 days ago a added white at 20 % No algae cristyle clear water quality. but keeping a sharp eye on this for right now(.)
NOW as for adding that "live rock" form wherever you may have gotten it from.
What could go wrong I wonder.
sorry no bugs hitchhikers for me thank you.
So I will be using ARC's Coraline purple and pink in a bottle. " NO UNINVITED GUEST.
As I said earlier just my 2 cents.
I guess that you could Dip the rock for a day in a coral dip bath extra strong then flush but there is aways eggs.
Quarent tank the rock for a month before adding to main DT. it took you this long to get here don't jump the gun now I got fire worms in a tank by using a so call live rock from a dealer. Messed up my whole tank . Killed off a lot of critters So I Say no no no TO LIVE ROCK FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S TANK. lOTS OF PLURES THAT DAY i CAN TELL YA....
Dip IT ! Quarent IT for a muth the dip rise install. good luck to ya
I will say, despite being very pro-liverock, I would not add rock directly from another person's tank or an LFS selling recycled rock. That stuff should be cooked in a dark bin for months to kill off velvet, ich, aiptasia etc. Only want to keep the bacteria diversity and biofilm from that stuff.

Pest densities in a reef system are typically higher than the ocean.

BRS

Do you have a battery backup plan in place?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 123 39.7%
  • NO

Votes: 170 54.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 5.5%