Dry Rock vs Caribsea Rock?

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an opinion of starting a tank with purely dry rock (Marcorocks, etc) vs. using only Caribsea arches etc? I like the apeal of the Caribsea, the purple looks cool. My concern would be that it's not porous at all really compared to some of the dry rock I received. Any thoughts would be great!

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an opinion of starting a tank with purely dry rock (Marcorocks, etc) vs. using only Caribsea arches etc? I like the apeal of the Caribsea, the purple looks cool. My concern would be that it's not porous at all really compared to some of the dry rock I received. Any thoughts would be great!
I've used carib sea and have had no issues. Honestly go with what you want and what you like. You're not going to be successful or unsuccessful because of your choice in rock. Just my two cents.

Archie1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opted for the Caribsea Life Rock. I haven’t placed it in the aquarium I am building yet but with glancing through the boxes I have been impressed so far. We went with just 80 pounds of their standard rock (nothing special like arches) but when we got it I have seen some pieces with some nice holes big enough for fish to swim through and arches.

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opted for the Caribsea Life Rock. I haven’t placed it in the aquarium I am building yet but with glancing through the boxes I have been impressed so far. We went with just 80 pounds of their standard rock (nothing special like arches) but when we got it I have seen some pieces with some nice holes big enough for fish to swim through and arches.
I have around 3 arches, a cave, a donut, and a xl 24" Arch from Caribsea. I can think of some really cool configurations for the aquascape. I'm sure I'd likely be fine either way but I read a comment somewhere earlier about how the Caribsea isn't nearly as porous as other live rock, providing limited space for bacteria, copepods, etc. Just got me thinking, I had never considered that before.

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used carib sea and have had no issues. Honestly go with what you want and what you like. You're not going to be successful or unsuccessful because of your choice in rock. Just my two cents.
I feel the same way. All other variables aside, I don't think my tank would crash due to the choice of rock between what I've listed. But just got me wondering about how much surface area there is for bacteria, pods etc on Caribsea vs other rock. I ordered some Marcorocks and each one is pretty complex, almost swiss cheese-esque.

CypherSloth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. Both have their advantages and not. Timeline can be slightly different with each and the “risk” of certain things changes. I’ve primarily gone with Caribsea…never really regretted it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back