Mixing some Live Rock with Dry Rock in new reef setup

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to set up a 75 gallon Reef. I have Dry Caribsea Reef Rock. I planned on using ammonia and Fritz Turbo Start. I was curious if there is any benefit of adding a little Live Rock (ie. Tampa Bay Saltwater)? Not from a quicker cycling standpoint, but by adding different bacteria into the tank and lessen the chance of algae in the beginning stages.

I had read about more algae occurring more with dry rock than live rock. I was wondering if a few rocks would help. I am just getting back into the hobby and I have always used live rock back in the day. Thanks.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to set up a 75 gallon Reef. I have Dry Caribsea Reef Rock. I planned on using ammonia and Fritz Turbo Start. I was curious if there is any benefit of adding a little Live Rock (ie. Tampa Bay Saltwater)? Not from a quicker cycling standpoint, but by adding different bacteria into the tank and lessen the chance of algae in the beginning stages.

I had read about more algae occurring more with dry rock than live rock. I was wondering if a few rocks would help. I am just getting back into the hobby and I have always used live rock back in the day. Thanks.
Yes, LR rock is great, but DO NOT forget to get your PODS they will eat the uglies. I have used Reef By Steele and is like bananas when the tiger bigger ones scramble to hide from the fish lol
Good Luck! Debra
FYI BRS had a reefpoluzza lecture in NY and Ryan confirmed success w/the guy from algae Barn how iimportant they are from the start up!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

See my tank journal. Last page I believe after post 45. 20 pound TBSW rock in sump 20 pound TBSW live sand in display. Tank is only 4 months old. It makes a huge difference imo

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, all!

Back in the day when I was using all Marshall Island Rock, I was good to go the first week with livestock. Now it looks like dry rock is the norm. I pretty much escaped the uglies except for one tank.

My thoughts on dry rock (and I could be wrong) is that you know it doesn't have phosphates that might have leached in from your LFS. So you basically are in control of what is happening with your tank. Cycle the tank with no lights and start slowly with adding livestock as the only source I can see for nitrates and phosphates will be from waste and food.

I guess that algae regardless could be part of the maturation process.

I do like how I aquascaped my tank with no water in it yet. I'll have to see how I can incorporate TBS rock into the tank. Maybe I can use the ATO section of the sump for rock for the time being as well?

Am I better off with TBS live sand than the Caribsea Ocean Direct Sand?

I did see the BRS video on Pods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may go with Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Sand and a few pieces of rubble to add to my tank in addition to the Caribsea Life Rock. I'm not so sure if I like the appearance of the sand compared to the Caribsea sand, but "maybe" it will give me a more diverse biome.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back