Dry rock?

dakotanut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need more rock for my 32 Bio Cube. It's in the 2nd week of 1st cycle. It has some algea growing in it now. The gravel/sand has it also. I think it needs more rock. I have Haitian rock in it now. I'm going to get some more this weekend. It comes dry. What do I need to do to get it ready for the tank? I don't want to just put it in the tank. Seems nitrates and ammonia spike when I do. Thanks.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank goes thru mini cycles every time you add rock, unless it’s dry rock. This is why you’re seeing your ammonia and nitrites spiking. Not real sure what Haitian rock is, but it’s best to add everything now while the tank cycles before you add livestock.

I’ve never been a huge promoter of adding rock to an established tank filled with fish and corals.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has no fish or corals. Only sand/gravel and rock. I want to add more. Last time I did it on my small tank it just about killed all my inverts and crabs. I'm pretty sure I can't just add it and walk away.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is nothing in your tank, there is no harm in adding it. Keep in mind, no matter how "dry" a particular type of rock may be, it will still cause some sort of spike in your ammonia/nitrates. Some rock you will find, listed as "dry" will still have a decent amount of decaying matter on it. You could also think about adding something like bio-spira after you add in the rock as to eliminate/minimize this spike.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so keeping it in something other than the tank and putting some tank water in with it will do/not do any good? I have some added bacteria when I started this tank. Nothing in it atm but rock and sand.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so keeping it in something other than the tank and putting some tank water in with it will do/not do any good? I have some added bacteria when I started this tank. Nothing in it atm but rock and sand.

You could separate it, but personally I would just add it in, especially since you don’t have any livestock to be worried about and your cycle is only 2 weeks old. Depending on the amount of rock you add, you may see a small spike, you may not if you already have some built up bacteria. Just my opinion and how i would do it.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I cleaned it real well with some water from the tank. I did a 2 gallon water change due to low salinity and alkalinity. Everything else was ok. So clean up crew and a shrimp were added. I cleaned the rock real well.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back