DSB deep sand bed , in one area

russells55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I’m in the process of setting up a new tank and was wondering would there be any benefit to setting up an area within the tank that was deep sand bed.

to keep it simple, think 60gal tank with 1inch sand. And then like a Tupperware container at the back full of 6inch of sand hid ibehind some rocks?

Crazy?

cheers

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I’m in the process of setting up a new tank and was wondering would there be any benefit to setting up an area within the tank that was deep sand bed.

to keep it simple, think 60gal tank with 1inch sand. And then like a Tupperware container at the back full of 6inch of sand hid ibehind some rocks?

Crazy?

cheers
I'm sure someone will go into the bacterial/chemical pros/cons for you, but from my perspective that sort of setup has some advantages in that it offers a low-maintenance, better environment for things that like or require deeper sand.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get some hits if you search rsdb or (calfo) bucket dsb, but it's a 5 gallon bucket with ~60 lbs of fine sand fed a couple hundred gph. No light, no critters, no rock, etc., just sand in a covered bucket fed clean water. I don't think a tupperware in a 60 gal would be enough to make a difference, but it wouldn't hurt anything.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back