DT has ich again. Advice please.

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have ich in DT again. The last time all my fish died and I got a QT. Thought running fowler took care of it all. Now two of three have it again. I will QT both fish, but,

1. What do I do with tbe remaning fish in DT? Leave it alone until it gets ich?
2. Is there anything I can do with DT to treat it while the healthy fish, for now, is there?
3. So do I understand this correctly, once the ich fish are healthy in QT put them back in DT that still has ich and hopefully they will have more immunity? Or is this DT doomed?
4. Finally, when you move fish from DT to QT do you acclimate them first, drip method, etc.?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to remove ALL fish from your DT and leave it fishless for 76 days.
You remove all fish and put them in the QT and treat them all for 30 Days+. Since your DT must remain fallow for up to 76 days, you have time to treat all the fish for all the popular diseases.

Ich lives on fish, so as long as fish are in the DT, ICH will carry on... you must take all fish out, eradicate the ICH from the fish and then let the ICH die in the tank while it is fishless. THEN you reintroduce the clean fish back into the ich free tank. It can take up to 76 days (fishless) for ICH to die in the tank. You must also be careful about not cross-contaminating the water while doing this, with nets and buckets and what not.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer that’s misinformation that will kill thousands of fish, by making others think that statement is repeatable.

if I could choose one proofing for you to run, it would be taking time to log a mere five reefs from cycle to completely stocked and have them skip qt and fallow and keep the links handy.

if you meant you dont quarantine, because you buy pre qt fish and they go into a fallow prepped tank, the above statement implies the opposite.

when we see a recommend from someone that owns a reef tank, and it’s opposite from the stickies at the top of the fish disease forum, you can rest assured only Jay is doing any saving of fish by logged pattern using others tanks and that means something about recommendation quality.

I'm not being mean I'm relaying a pattern that comes from tracking out the hundreds of cycled tanks we produce here. even those that don't give updates after we get them ready for fish, you can just click on the total posts tab and see updates anyway at the 8 month mark. disease is rampant

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back