DT has ich

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey again, all! Thanks for viewing.

My 40b has been up and running for a while now. I went out of town/busy with work and came back to my clownfish having several ich spots. Sixline has two or three as well, damsel is fine. The sixline was supposed to have come from a fallow qt tank like my other two fish, which probably didn't happen given the circumstances. Ive been doing 25% weekly water changes, so am a bit put off. I'm going to go get a 20 long with filter, heater (house is ambient 73*), pvc tubes for hiding, etc. for a hospital tank on my way to work. Now, my question is do I remove my snails and treat the DT with hypo or somehow catch the sixline, damsel, and clown and put them in the hospital tank with meds. Probably going to just take the rock out and move the fish out since that seems to be the preferred route, and let the DT go fallow for 76 days. Also, should I get some new live rock for the hospital tank, or just pvc tubes for hiding areas? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pics/videos to confirm?

How many inverts do you have? If you don’t have many, hyposalinity (and quarantining the inverts) is definitely an option and would be easier than catching some of those fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey again, all! Thanks for viewing.

My 40b has been up and running for a while now. I went out of town/busy with work and came back to my clownfish having several ich spots. Sixline has two or three as well, damsel is fine. The sixline was supposed to have come from a fallow qt tank like my other two fish, which probably didn't happen given the circumstances. Ive been doing 25% weekly water changes, so am a bit put off. I'm going to go get a 20 long with filter, heater (house is ambient 73*), pvc tubes for hiding, etc. for a hospital tank on my way to work. Now, my question is do I remove my snails and treat the DT with hypo or somehow catch the sixline, damsel, and clown and put them in the hospital tank with meds. Probably going to just take the rock out and move the fish out since that seems to be the preferred route, and let the DT go fallow for 76 days. Also, should I get some new live rock for the hospital tank, or just pvc tubes for hiding areas? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
PVC tubes are enough. That said - could you send pictures - just in case it's not Ich you're looking at? Even though you didn't add new fish - did you happen to add new coral, etc? hope this helps. Assuming it turns out to be Ich (any other symptoms, scratching, etc)? Are your parameters ok? you would use the standard 30 day treatment protocol with Copper - using the dose per the type you choose. Many people (if they do not have inverts in their display tank - raise the temp a but (to 81) - and fallow the tank for 45-60 days. Hyposalinity - or Ruby Reef pro can also be used in your tank depending on the other inhabitants.

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus white specks on side and top. I'll try and take more

Attachments

• 20230628_141037.jpg
    20230628_141037.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230628_141038.jpg
    20230628_141038.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 47

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I have a related question. If one were to use Ruby Rally in a 'fallow tank' could one shorten the period to 30 days?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@sharkbait - agree with you - thats a very good idea - especially since its (just - sorry) snails. We must have been typing at the same time I didn't see your post:)

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearest video I can get. They're on his fins, mostly, but some on his side. Trying to take vids with blue light only, white only, and it's very hard to see

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this: can see two specs on side as well, sorry for bad quality

20230628_145604.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like this: can see two specs on side as well, sorry for bad quality

20230628_145604.jpg
I dont see ich but rather flashing and may likely be gill flukes.
is fish breathing normal or rapid?
Any loss of color and also appetite?

Regarding Ruby Rally, if flukes, can be applied directly to tank with inverts and coral safely and will take a couple of days to act but should work.

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take more pics of what I think might be ich as well before I go the rally route instead of qt/fallow!

Another question. I've read I can use a piece of filter sponge from my hob on the dt to start bac growing in my qt tank, and then just do water changes to keep ammonia down. Should I just place that in the fluval 20 I bought to go in it without carbon since I'd likely be using copper?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 20 long just now. The filter and hides will be here tomorrow/Friday. Better to have a hospital tank on hand anyways, and don't want to use my fw qt for this. A million thanks, all!

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home and some spots have disappeared from clownfish but not on tail/fins. One visible salt grain sized speck on sixline, others have disappeared. LFS I bought sixline from said that I "should" use ruby reef and kick ich in DT instead of moving fish to hospital tank. Starting to think this store is just trying to get me to buy things...is this weird?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The recommendation from my perspective is copper, in a QT tank. And - no stores want you to buy things - however - you can use this product IMHO

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Thank you, sharkbait, Jay, Vette, MnFish1 and everyone!!!

Sorry, I'm just a bit stressed with life and know the LFS folks are just trying to help. Friday morning 'll be removing the rock, catching my fish, and putting them in qt. I don't want to chance anything with these fish/snails, and the wife gave me the okay to stash the 20g in the kitchen where I can keep a good eye on them.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back