DT has ich

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. How did you feed your inverts (if you had them) and keep bac up in the DT?
i believe I had a cleaner shrimp and definitely had snails at that time. I don’t remember feeding the tank. I let them eat the algae

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact that the 45 day fallow worked. I had all kinds of parameter changes. My blue tang stressed out my yellow tang and eventually killed it because I only have a 90g tank and no ich broke out

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that's pretty cool! Probably just keep the lights on like normal then, yeah?
Yes realistically I did a 35-40 days fallow. I remembered I was too impatient for a full 45 lol I even used the same equipment I rinse them in hot water though before I use it . Still no ich for over a year and I’ve ALWAYS had ich in my tank in the past . Now everything in my tank have to go through a QT.

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...good god that's pretty metal, my dude. Those larger fish seem really intense! Thanks for the input. 7+ years since my last reef tank

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a much better video somehow. LFS said brook/flukes and to use rally. Gonna go grab some tomorrow since Amazon botched my order

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a much better video somehow. LFS said brook/flukes and to use rally. Gonna go grab some tomorrow since Amazon botched my order

IMO - that clown has a mild case of ich.

jay

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, thought I had a chance haha. Probably past treating in the DT, yeah? Thank you again!

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question before I buy the rest of my stuff for qt. Is it better to just move snails to the qt and treat the dt with hypo for the ich and rally for the flukes? I've got limited mobility but am 100% dedicated to whatever I need to do!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last question before I buy the rest of my stuff for qt. Is it better to just move snails to the qt and treat the dt with hypo for the ich and rally for the flukes? I've got limited mobility but am 100% dedicated to whatever I need to do!
leave inverts and coral in display tank with NO fish added for at 8 weeks, preferably 8 weeks and focus on treatment and water quality in treatment tank. Problem with snails in QT is that they cant handle treatment meds. having no fish will leave any parasites with no host and the parasites in turn will die off on their own

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much thought I'm going to qt the snails and hypo/treat the dt directly. Maybe. I'll keep the stuff I bought just to be safe for the future and/or return it. Got the following on the way if I change my mind:

Tank
Filter
Heater
Aerator
Hanna copper checker
Ammonia badge
Copper
New python just for qt
Buckets for qt

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you explain a bit more? What invertebrates are in your DT? If it is JUST snails, then I think you should move them out and run hyposalinity on the DT. That will control both ich and flukes. Skip the Rally Pro for flukes, its ingredients are just not specific for flukes, despite what their label says.

Here is a link to the hyposalinity instructions:

Jay

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the snails, how should I run the qt? New saltwater, heater, sponge from dt for bacteria?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the snails, how should I run the qt? New saltwater, heater, sponge from dt for bacteria?

Yes - and just keep them isolated from any fish for 45 to 60 days (longer is safer).

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back