DT Prazipro Adverse Reaction?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed round 2 of Prazipro last night. Directions say 1tsp (5mL) per 20 gallons of water. Total water volume is 75G, so I dosed just a touch more than recommended by adding 20mL.

Woke up today and dosed vinegar without thinking.

Pretty much all of the fish are hiding and panting now, save for two clownfish and a six line wrasse.

I added an air pump pushing bubbles in front of the powerhead near the surface, in addition to the skimmer running with the cup off.

I've seen all of the fish today except for a fairy wrasse. A couple of acros are peeling, and everything generally looks annoyed.

Fish seem somewhat more active with the air pump running.

Should I pull the rip cord and put the carbon back online? Or is it time to just wait it out?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro has a chemical in it to keep the praziquantel in solution. Oxybispropanol. It uses O2 from the water column, sometimes to the point where the fish are gasping for O2. The dosage of Prazipro is actually in the high range as recommended on the bottle at 2.5 works fine at a dose of 2.0. So your little bit extra may be the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro has a chemical in it to keep the praziquantel in solution. Oxybispropanol. It uses O2 from the water column, sometimes to the point where the fish are gasping for O2. The dosage of Praipro is actuallly in the high range as recommended on the bottle at 2.5 works fine at a dose of 2.0. So your little bit extra may be the p⁰roblem.

That would make sense. Should I pull the rip cord or wait it out? I just saw the fairy wrasse, so all of the fish are alive and accounted for now.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make sense. Should I pull the rip cord or wait it out? I just saw the fairy wrasse, so all of the fish are alive and accounted for now.
Usually takes about 48 hours for the prazi to degrade, with the first 24 hours being the highest levels in the water column. Tough call. Water changes would certainly reduce/dilute the prazi. But it may be degraded down to the therapeutic level or lower by now. If the fish were still showing ill effects, yes, I'd do water changes. Best of luck with your fish.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually takes about 48 hours for the prazi to degrade, with the first 24 hours being the highest levels in the water column. Tough call. Water changes would certainly reduce/dilute the prazi. But it may be degraded down to the therapeutic level or lower by now. If the fish were still showing ill effects, yes, I'd do water changes. Best of luck with your fish.

I'm just going to grit my teeth until tomorrow morning. Fish are moving a little more with the air pump running.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back