Fairy wrasse lethargic, stopped eating and died

  • Thread starter Thread starter speppers
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

speppers

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2025
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
Location
Scotland
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Solon fairy wrasse just passed away today after having some symptoms for a few weeks following a tank upgrade. I want to see what people's thoughts are so I can decide what to do with the rest of the fish in my display.

Symptoms: white marks along sides of his body prior to tank move, after tank move the wrasse was hiding but still eating normally for 2 weeks, then appetite decreased over a few days. We dosed prazi (fluke solve as we are in the UK) followed instructions of 1g per 250L, our system is 615L but we dosed only for 525L to account for water displacement due to rock and equipment and because I didn't want to overdose as I believe wrasses can be sensitive. Wrasse did not eat after the prazi and 48 hours later appeared to be breathing heavier and through mouth so we ran carbon and put the collection cup back on the skimmer. He also had stringy white poop at this time. 72 hours after the prazi dose we pulled him from the display to a hospital tank with airstones, heater, and salinity matched to DT tank. He seemed the same for a few hours then appeared moribund and died about 36 hours later.

History: the wrasse was showing a few white marks on his sides for around a month prior to the tank move. They seemed larger than ich and weren't moving or getting worse and he was eating well and acting normally so we left him assuming they were just scrapes or lympho.

Tank move: we upgraded from a reefsys 326L tank to a custom tank to accommodate our growing foxface. New tank was to go in place of old so we switched tanks on the same day. Fish were caught and placed in an 120L black tub of new saltwater matching the display salinity and temp with a wavemaker and heater and some pvc. They were in the tub for 4-5 hours while switching tank. Old rock was kept wet and then put in the new display immediately along with additional dry marco rock and live ocean rock (we were told this was kept in a fishless system for a couple of months but now are wondering if this has brought parasites into the tank). Sand was not reused, we used new dry and live sand.

The only other tank inhabitant showing any real symptoms is one of our chalk bass, who jumped from a container during the move and has developed a bad case of popeye in one eye. It was not cloudy and he was eating and swimming normally so we left him but he stopped eating and we caught him darting across the tank with his mouth open shaking his head, so dosed the prazi. His eye now appears to have multiple small air bubbles rather than only one large one, we have not seen him shaking his head since the prazi dose. We are currently trying to catch him to treat in case of infection. He has also shown some stringy white poop but now wondering if this is just due to not eating.

All other fish seem fine albeit a bit stressed from us constantly trying to catch the bass. I did notice a couple of spots on our magnificent foxface but unsure what they are.

Checked the new tank for ammonia daily after the upgrade for a couple of weeks using a salifert test kit and it read 0 consistently. Temp is 25°C, salinity 1.026.

Tank inhabitants: 2 ocellaris clownfish, starry blenny, firefish, Solon fairy wrasse (dead), magnificent foxface (glass surfing and a couple of spots), 2 chalk bass (one with popeye not eating), fang blenny, 2 fire shrimp, tuxedo urchin, snails and hermit crabs.

All fish had been quarantined in 30 days copper and 2 prazi doses before moving to DT tank. Wrasse was added last June. Latest fish were added in October. We hold all corals and inverts in a fishless system for 60 days before introducing to display. Not ruling out cross contamination from poor sterilisation as we do use same hydrometer for example between both systems. Also while we were told the live rock we added had been kept in a fishless system for a couple of months we are now obviously regretting not qting this ourselves.

Attached are photos of the wrasse in the new tank that I caught when he was out still eating. Also two photos showing the progression of the chalk basses eye. I will put a post mortem pic of the wrasse in a comment below in case that is of any help.

PXL_20260312_182502389.jpg PXL_20260312_182515758.jpg PXL_20260325_140501614.jpg PXL_20260325_143142653.jpg PXL_20260329_114110387.jpg PXL_20260325_093257504.jpg PXL_20260329_111433699.jpg PXL_20260329_111436585.jpg
 
Post mortem pictures of wrasse (TW fish death) - dead for max of 2 hours before pictured were taken.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260330_123905105.jpg
    PXL_20260330_123905105.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20260330_123912163.jpg
    PXL_20260330_123912163.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20260330_123940410.jpg
    PXL_20260330_123940410.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 38
Post mortem pictures of wrasse (TW fish death) - dead for max of 2 hours before pictured were taken.
It’s hard to assess a dead fish but any signs noted such as hiding, elevated breathing, scratching as examples?
 
It’s hard to assess a dead fish but any signs noted such as hiding, elevated breathing, scratching as examples?
He was hiding but still coming out to eat for 2 weeks then lost his appetite and stopped eating. After this I noticed mouth breathing. He then was breathing rapidly in the hospital tank and was lying on his side. No scratching, flashing, or darting. The starry blenny has flashed against the sand once. The chalk bass (who we have now caught) was seen darting with his mouth open and shaking his head twice but not seen again since the prazi dose.
 
My Solon fairy wrasse just passed away today after having some symptoms for a few weeks following a tank upgrade. I want to see what people's thoughts are so I can decide what to do with the rest of the fish in my display.

Symptoms: white marks along sides of his body prior to tank move, after tank move the wrasse was hiding but still eating normally for 2 weeks, then appetite decreased over a few days. We dosed prazi (fluke solve as we are in the UK) followed instructions of 1g per 250L, our system is 615L but we dosed only for 525L to account for water displacement due to rock and equipment and because I didn't want to overdose as I believe wrasses can be sensitive. Wrasse did not eat after the prazi and 48 hours later appeared to be breathing heavier and through mouth so we ran carbon and put the collection cup back on the skimmer. He also had stringy white poop at this time. 72 hours after the prazi dose we pulled him from the display to a hospital tank with airstones, heater, and salinity matched to DT tank. He seemed the same for a few hours then appeared moribund and died about 36 hours later.

History: the wrasse was showing a few white marks on his sides for around a month prior to the tank move. They seemed larger than ich and weren't moving or getting worse and he was eating well and acting normally so we left him assuming they were just scrapes or lympho.

Tank move: we upgraded from a reefsys 326L tank to a custom tank to accommodate our growing foxface. New tank was to go in place of old so we switched tanks on the same day. Fish were caught and placed in an 120L black tub of new saltwater matching the display salinity and temp with a wavemaker and heater and some pvc. They were in the tub for 4-5 hours while switching tank. Old rock was kept wet and then put in the new display immediately along with additional dry marco rock and live ocean rock (we were told this was kept in a fishless system for a couple of months but now are wondering if this has brought parasites into the tank). Sand was not reused, we used new dry and live sand.

The only other tank inhabitant showing any real symptoms is one of our chalk bass, who jumped from a container during the move and has developed a bad case of popeye in one eye. It was not cloudy and he was eating and swimming normally so we left him but he stopped eating and we caught him darting across the tank with his mouth open shaking his head, so dosed the prazi. His eye now appears to have multiple small air bubbles rather than only one large one, we have not seen him shaking his head since the prazi dose. We are currently trying to catch him to treat in case of infection. He has also shown some stringy white poop but now wondering if this is just due to not eating.

All other fish seem fine albeit a bit stressed from us constantly trying to catch the bass. I did notice a couple of spots on our magnificent foxface but unsure what they are.

Checked the new tank for ammonia daily after the upgrade for a couple of weeks using a salifert test kit and it read 0 consistently. Temp is 25°C, salinity 1.026.

Tank inhabitants: 2 ocellaris clownfish, starry blenny, firefish, Solon fairy wrasse (dead), magnificent foxface (glass surfing and a couple of spots), 2 chalk bass (one with popeye not eating), fang blenny, 2 fire shrimp, tuxedo urchin, snails and hermit crabs.

All fish had been quarantined in 30 days copper and 2 prazi doses before moving to DT tank. Wrasse was added last June. Latest fish were added in October. We hold all corals and inverts in a fishless system for 60 days before introducing to display. Not ruling out cross contamination from poor sterilisation as we do use same hydrometer for example between both systems. Also while we were told the live rock we added had been kept in a fishless system for a couple of months we are now obviously regretting not qting this ourselves.

Attached are photos of the wrasse in the new tank that I caught when he was out still eating. Also two photos showing the progression of the chalk basses eye. I will put a post mortem pic of the wrasse in a comment below in case that is of any help.

PXL_20260312_182502389.jpg PXL_20260312_182515758.jpg PXL_20260325_140501614.jpg PXL_20260325_143142653.jpg PXL_20260329_114110387.jpg PXL_20260325_093257504.jpg PXL_20260329_111433699.jpg PXL_20260329_111436585.jpg

Sorry - I can’t give you a definitive diagnosis on the wrasse. These are sensitive to prazi (especially if a solvent is used) and that is due to lower oxygen levels. I always add airstone(s) when dosing prazi.

I think you already know that the chalk bass eye is from trauma. These can get better, but sometimes not. There is no treatment for this (I once built a pressure chamber that would fix the bubble, but they always returned when I brought the fish back out of the pressure tank).
 
Sorry - I can’t give you a definitive diagnosis on the wrasse. These are sensitive to prazi (especially if a solvent is used) and that is due to lower oxygen levels. I always add airstone(s) when dosing prazi.

I think you already know that the chalk bass eye is from trauma. These can get better, but sometimes not. There is no treatment for this (I once built a pressure chamber that would fix the bubble, but they always returned when I brought the fish back out of the pressure tank).
Thanks for the help. I thought we should have enough oxygen with the skimmer and wavemakers pointing at the surface but I will keep it in mind to add airstones next time!

We did manage to get the chalk bass out of the tank to a hospital tank as the eye has since started turning cloudy and a bit red. Is the bass not eating likely due to the trauma / pain?

I'll keep an eye on other inhabitants to see if any develop symptoms over the next few days. Appreciate the help!
 
Thanks for the help. I thought we should have enough oxygen with the skimmer and wavemakers pointing at the surface but I will keep it in mind to add airstones next time!

We did manage to get the chalk bass out of the tank to a hospital tank as the eye has since started turning cloudy and a bit red. Is the bass not eating likely due to the trauma / pain?

I'll keep an eye on other inhabitants to see if any develop symptoms over the next few days. Appreciate the help!

The cloudiness and redness could be a secondary bacterial infection. Since it’s in a hospital tank, you could dose with an antibiotic such as neomycin or kanamycin. Watch the ammonia level in the tank though.
 
The cloudiness and redness could be a secondary bacterial infection. Since it’s in a hospital tank, you could dose with an antibiotic such as neomycin or kanamycin. Watch the ammonia level in the tank though.
I was able to get kanaplex a few months ago despite us being in the UK so I did dose that last night. So far no real change but I imagine things will take time.

I'm mainly concerned about the chalk bass not eating and breathing slightly fast but I take it this is probably just due to stress because of the eye and the moves?
 
The bass is breathing fast. I checked the ammonia level in the hospital tank using a salifert test kit and it read 0. Is there anything I can do for him other than the antibiotics?

I'm not sure if this is just due to his eye or related to whatever the wrasse died of? No fish in the display are breathing fast, and the bass was breathing like this in the DT too when he was there (but it was hard to get an accurate count) but he was swimming whereas now he is just sitting on the bottom of the hospital tank.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260331_073605749.mp4
    39.9 MB
I was able to get kanaplex a few months ago despite us being in the UK so I did dose that last night. So far no real change but I imagine things will take time.

I'm mainly concerned about the chalk bass not eating and breathing slightly fast but I take it this is probably just due to stress because of the eye and the moves?

Antibiotics will take 3 to 5 days to begin showing any improvement (same as with humans). Of course, the rick is the fish may not have that long.

Yes, I'm hoping that the not-eating is a temporary issue from stress.
 
Antibiotics will take 3 to 5 days to begin showing any improvement (same as with humans). Of course, the rick is the fish may not have that long.

Yes, I'm hoping that the not-eating is a temporary issue from stress.
Ok thank you for all the help!

He is still breathing fast but is upright so hopefully he makes it through the night and the antibiotics have a chance to work.
 
Update: the bass is still alive and upright this morning and his breathing seems to be lower (went from somewhere between 110-130 breaths per minute last night to 80-100 this morning). Hopefully the lowered salinity is helping. He is still breathing through his mouth though.

I think he is probably losing the damaged eye as it looks black now? The other eye appears slightly cloudy this morning so I assume the infection is spreading.

He is due the second dose of kanaplex this afternoon so will do that. Quick question: how long should I continue the kanaplex for in this situation?
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260401_075822162.jpg
    PXL_20260401_075822162.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20260401_075804419.jpg
    PXL_20260401_075804419.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 23
Update: the bass is still alive and upright this morning and his breathing seems to be lower (went from somewhere between 110-130 breaths per minute last night to 80-100 this morning). Hopefully the lowered salinity is helping. He is still breathing through his mouth though.

I think he is probably losing the damaged eye as it looks black now? The other eye appears slightly cloudy this morning so I assume the infection is spreading.

He is due the second dose of kanaplex this afternoon so will do that. Quick question: how long should I continue the kanaplex for in this situation?

The black color is probably a tissue response from the fish, part of the healing process called granulation tissue.

Kanaplex can become toxic to fish, so the recommendation is to dose 3x, 2 days apart, for a total time of 6 days.
 
The black color is probably a tissue response from the fish, part of the healing process called granulation tissue.

Kanaplex can become toxic to fish, so the recommendation is to dose 3x, 2 days apart, for a total time of 6 days.
Ok I will stick to that then. Thank you!
 
Update: the eye appears to have ruptured as there are stringy bits dangling from the injured eye.

It is breathing is much better today, and even swam for a minute or so. Still not eating however.

More concerning is that the bass appears to have a mark on his good side which I assume is just part of the bacterial infection? The last dose of kanaplex will be tomorrow evening, should I have any other medications for after this or to help with the mark on his side?

I can look to try to source other antibiotics but it may be difficult and take a while to get to me. I do have access to NT Labs Marine Anti-Bacterial (Acriflavine 26.7 mg/100 ml, 9-Aminoacridine HCl 26.7 mg/100 ml, Formaldehyde 754 mg/100 ml) or NT Labs Acriflavine (Acriflavine neutral 80 mg/100ml).
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260402_095046952.jpg
    PXL_20260402_095046952.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20260402_091218584.jpg
    PXL_20260402_091218584.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20260402_174641832.MACRO_FOCUS.jpg
    PXL_20260402_174641832.MACRO_FOCUS.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 37
Update: the eye appears to have ruptured as there are stringy bits dangling from the injured eye.

It is breathing is much better today, and even swam for a minute or so. Still not eating however.

More concerning is that the bass appears to have a mark on his good side which I assume is just part of the bacterial infection? The last dose of kanaplex will be tomorrow evening, should I have any other medications for after this or to help with the mark on his side?

I can look to try to source other antibiotics but it may be difficult and take a while to get to me. I do have access to NT Labs Marine Anti-Bacterial (Acriflavine 26.7 mg/100 ml, 9-Aminoacridine HCl 26.7 mg/100 ml, Formaldehyde 754 mg/100 ml) or NT Labs Acriflavine (Acriflavine neutral 80 mg/100ml).

It is pretty common for eye injuries to end with the loss of the eye. Fish can survive that, as long as there isn't some other underlying issue (but that does seem to be the case here, with the not eating and the lesion on its side).

Going back to the "not eating" - what foods have you tried? Do you have access to live brine? Even live baby brine might help, you can hatch that out yourself.

Two days after the last dose of Kanaplex, if things are still going downhill, would be the time to switch antibiotics. The NT Lab products you listed would not be my first choice, but if that's all you can get, I'd opt for the first one. Better still would be another broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, like Neoplex, but sourcing that may be tough for where you live.
 
It is pretty common for eye injuries to end with the loss of the eye. Fish can survive that, as long as there isn't some other underlying issue (but that does seem to be the case here, with the not eating and the lesion on its side).

Going back to the "not eating" - what foods have you tried? Do you have access to live brine? Even live baby brine might help, you can hatch that out yourself.

Two days after the last dose of Kanaplex, if things are still going downhill, would be the time to switch antibiotics. The NT Lab products you listed would not be my first choice, but if that's all you can get, I'd opt for the first one. Better still would be another broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, like Neoplex, but sourcing that may be tough for where you live.
I have tried pretty much every frozen food I have (mysis, brine shrimp, copepods, krill...) and I tried live blackworms (the only live food I could get at my LFS).

I will check if any of the other fish stores near me have live brine shrimp to try. And I've got brine shrimp eggs that should be delivered tomorrow so I can try hatching myself.

I will see if I can try to source Neoplex in the meantime.
 
I have tried pretty much every frozen food I have (mysis, brine shrimp, copepods, krill...) and I tried live blackworms (the only live food I could get at my LFS).

I will check if any of the other fish stores near me have live brine shrimp to try. And I've got brine shrimp eggs that should be delivered tomorrow so I can try hatching myself.

I will see if I can try to source Neoplex in the meantime.

Good luck and keep us updated!
 
Good luck and keep us updated!
Managed to get some live baby brine from a fish store an hour away. When I got home the bass was swimming up near the surface and he didn't seem to eat the brine straight away but he moved to the bottom of the tank and I definitely saw him eat one (that hit him right in the mouth) and think I saw him eat or try to eat at least two others.

He has also now been hovering at the bottom instead of lying on the bottom. The mark on his side is still there but hopefully the last dose of kanaplex helps him.

Thank you so much for all of your help Jay! I'm hoping the bass keeps eating and can regain enough strength to let the antibiotics fight the infection. I also have Neoplex arriving on Monday (3 days after the last kanaplex dose) so I will have a good backup if the kanaplex doesn't work fully.
 
Update: the bass is eating again! At first it was just the odd piece of live food but now he is back to eating frozen as well. He is no longer lying on the bottom at all. Still hiding a bit in the pvc pipe but will lunge out and accurately grab food.

The injured eye has definitely been lost but the other eye seems to be okay for now. The mark on his side is still there and almost looks like a cut? The Neoplex has not yet arrived so I dosed the NT Labs Marine Anti-Bacterial yesterday. It seems to have made the old tissue around the eye and the mark on his side start peeling I think? I can't get a good look at him side on today due to the way he is hiding but will try again when he moves.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260407_155644850.jpg
    PXL_20260407_155644850.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 34

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new