Dual 250G Marineland Deep Dimension tanks

davidfrances

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the Reef2Reef site, and would like to share my dual 250G Marineland Deep Dimension tanks. I have these tanks set up in my basement, they sit directly on the stained concrete slab. Both tanks have been operational since January 2013.

MIXED REEF (left side tank)
This tank is a mixed coral reef. It mostly contains soft corals, with a few LPS. I have quite a few sea fans as well. My equipment consists of:

1. Lighting – Four (4) 24†ReefBreeder Photon 24’s
2. Sump – 40 gallon breeder – I have one baffle straddled by a sponge filter
3. Return Pump – two (2) Eheim 1262’s, each plumbed to a separate overflow return.
4. Skimmer – Skimz SM 251 Monzter E-Series
4a. ReefOctopus BioChurn 120INT bioreactor with BRS NPS biopellets
5. Filter – Blue 10 ppi sponge in sump baffle.
6. Freshwater top-off (to maintain constant osmotic balance) – 25 gallon transport tank, bellows pump and float switch. I top off with kalkwasser made from Mrs. Ball’s pickling lime.
7. Water motion – 4x VorTech MP40w’s.
8. Heater – None. The ambient temperature of my basement is approximately 74 degrees F. The tank runs approximately 79 degrees, regardless of the season. I do not notice any temperature variances greater than 2 degrees.
9. Misc. Equipment – Red Sea Aquazone Ozone Generator/Controller (ozone, when generated, is pumped into the skimmer); American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
10. Sand bed – CaribSea Flamingo Reef Sand (1-2mm) ~2â€deep
11. Water Quality Parameters – tested with a Sera Aqua-Test Box Marin Master Test Kit for Saltwater Aquariums unless otherwise noted:
a. pH – 8.4 via pinpoint pH monitor
b. Temp – 79 degrees F
c. Calcium – 600
d. Ammonia – 0
e. Nitrite – 0
f. Nitrate – 0
g. ORP - ~400mV measured via Red Sea Aquazone Controller
h. phosphate – 0.5ppm

FOWLR (right side tank):
This tank is intended to be a dedicated to larger more aggressive marine fish. I’m trying to keep some of the more noxious softies here, but the focus will be fish and not inverts in this tank. Given the design of the room and the placement of this tank, it receives a fair bit of natural sunlight on the right side.

1. Lighting – Four (4) 24†ReefBreeder Photon 24’s
3. Return Pump – one (1) Eheim 1262 plumbed in tandem to both overflow returns.
5. Filter – Blue 10 ppi sponge in sump baffle, same as above
6. Freshwater top-off (to maintain constant osmotic balance) – 25 gallon transport tank, bellows pump and float switch. I top off with kalkwasser made from Mrs. Ball’s pickling lime.
7. Water motion – 2x VorTech MP60w’s
8. Heater – None. The ambient temperature of my basement is approximately 74 degrees F. The tank runs approximately 77 degrees, regardless of the season. I do not notice any temperature variances greater than 2 degrees.
9. Misc. Equipment – Red Sea Aquazone Ozone Generator/Controller (ozone, when generated, is pumped into the skimmer); American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
10. Sand bed – CaribSea Flamingo Reef Sand (1-2mm) ~2â€deep
11. Water Quality Parameters - tested with a Sera Aqua-Test Box Marin Master Test Kit for Saltwater Aquariums unless otherwise noted:
b. Temp – 77 degrees F
c. Calcium – 600
d. Ammonia – 0
e. Nitrite – 0
f. Nitrate – 0.2ppm
h. phosphate – 2.0ppm

Feeding:
• Daily at 1200 and 1700 hours – Sinking dry pellet food, a mix of Spectrum and Instant Ocean dry pellet foods, via an Eheim automatic feeder. I also use a feeding ring to keep the food from floating into the overflows.
• Every other day – Frozen food mix with enriched brine, ocean plankton and mysis.

Photos follow

250Tang 001.jpg
250Tang 001.jpg
250Tang 004.jpg
250Tang 003.jpg
250Tang 005.jpg
250Tang 002.jpg

OP
OP
D

davidfrances

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding an Apex controller

Working on adding an Neptune Apex controller to both tanks. Pretty complicated stuff.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for a hopeful update! :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am new to the Reef2Reef site, and would like to share my dual 250G Marineland Deep Dimension tanks. I have these tanks set up in my basement, they sit directly on the stained concrete slab. Both tanks have been operational since January 2013.

MIXED REEF (left side tank)
This tank is a mixed coral reef. It mostly contains soft corals, with a few LPS. I have quite a few sea fans as well. My equipment consists of:

1. Lighting – Four (4) 24” ReefBreeder Photon 24’s
3. Return Pump – two (2) Eheim 1262’s, each plumbed to a separate overflow return.
5. Filter – Blue 10 ppi sponge in sump baffle.
7. Water motion – 4x VorTech MP40w’s.
8. Heater – None. The ambient temperature of my basement is approximately 74 degrees F. The tank runs approximately 79 degrees, regardless of the season. I do not notice any temperature variances greater than 2 degrees.
10. Sand bed – CaribSea Flamingo Reef Sand (1-2mm) ~2”deep
11. Water Quality Parameters – tested with a Sera Aqua-Test Box Marin Master Test Kit for Saltwater Aquariums unless otherwise noted:
b. Temp – 79 degrees F
c. Calcium – 600
d. Ammonia – 0
e. Nitrite – 0
f. Nitrate – 0
h. phosphate – 0.5ppm

FOWLR (right side tank):
This tank is intended to be a dedicated to larger more aggressive marine fish. I’m trying to keep some of the more noxious softies here, but the focus will be fish and not inverts in this tank. Given the design of the room and the placement of this tank, it receives a fair bit of natural sunlight on the right side.

1. Lighting – Four (4) 24” ReefBreeder Photon 24’s
3. Return Pump – one (1) Eheim 1262 plumbed in tandem to both overflow returns.
5. Filter – Blue 10 ppi sponge in sump baffle, same as above
7. Water motion – 2x VorTech MP60w’s
8. Heater – None. The ambient temperature of my basement is approximately 74 degrees F. The tank runs approximately 77 degrees, regardless of the season. I do not notice any temperature variances greater than 2 degrees.
10. Sand bed – CaribSea Flamingo Reef Sand (1-2mm) ~2”deep
11. Water Quality Parameters - tested with a Sera Aqua-Test Box Marin Master Test Kit for Saltwater Aquariums unless otherwise noted:
b. Temp – 77 degrees F
c. Calcium – 600
d. Ammonia – 0
e. Nitrite – 0
f. Nitrate – 0.2ppm
h. phosphate – 2.0ppm

Feeding:
• Daily at 1200 and 1700 hours – Sinking dry pellet food, a mix of Spectrum and Instant Ocean dry pellet foods, via an Eheim automatic feeder. I also use a feeding ring to keep the food from floating into the overflows.
• Every other day – Frozen food mix with enriched brine, ocean plankton and mysis.

Photos follow

250Tang 001.jpg 250Tang 001.jpg 250Tang 004.jpg 250Tang 003.jpg 250Tang 005.jpg 250Tang 002.jpg

Wow beautiful tanks!! LOve them!

OP
OP
D

davidfrances

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE & tank failure

Here's a video of my tank with my new video camera. By way of an update, at 2300 hours on Saturday, 21 March 2015, the seal on the right side tank blew out. I lost almost everything, but managed to save a few fish and some corals. All my adult angels perished.

Fortunately, the good folks at Marineland were a pleasure to work with. They compensated me for all of our losses, and the replacement tank was delivered this past Thursday, 30 April 2015. Now working on getting the tank back up and running. I plan on making this a dedicated SPS tank, low nutrient, starboard bottom. Stay tuned.

Oh, I am unable to spell..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_cMBGgPdjdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a white gorgonian like you have in the center of your tank. Do you know if it's photosynthetic? Nice tank by the way.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice predominantly soft coral tank, loving all the gorgs. Sorry to hear about the broken tank but it's nice to hear Marineland is making things right....and quickly too. Too often these things seem to take forever. Good luck with the re-build!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a video of my tank with my new video camera. By way of an update, at 2300 hours on Saturday, 21 March 2015, the seal on the right side tank blew out. I lost almost everything, but managed to save a few fish and some corals. All my adult angels perished.

Fortunately, the good folks at Marineland were a pleasure to work with. They compensated me for all of our losses, and the replacement tank was delivered this past Thursday, 30 April 2015. Now working on getting the tank back up and running. I plan on making this a dedicated SPS tank, low nutrient, starboard bottom. Stay tuned.

Oh, I am unable to spell..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_cMBGgPdjdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A Marineland tank failure, imagine that!. Sorry to hear that!

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back