Dual monitors?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Does anyone know if there are any issues, or special considerations for running R2R on two monitors at the same time? Does it just show me as being logged on twice?

I find that very often, I need to get a link from a library file or other post. With a single monitor, I have to navigate away from the thread I'm working on, find the copy I need and then come back and find that post and paste it in. With dual monitors, I can search in one window and keep the original post open in the other. Seems to work fine, I just wanted to ask.....

As I write this on my righthand monitor, my lefthand monitor shows just one login and that I am "viewing the home page".

Thanks,

Jay

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two monitors , one CPU ?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always on the forum on my cell phone and regularly I am logged into the forum with two separate browser windows, without any issues.

It’s not quite the same thing but it’s still still logged into the forum twice.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two monitors , one CPU ?

Yes, in this case, one CPU. Although I have logged on to my phone and then had to log in from my desktop to view a video.....no issues with that either from what I can tell.

Jay

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can be logged in on my tablet and cell phone but they won’t show the same page. They’re like 2 separate entities. If I want to see the same page on both, I need to click on the thread/page I want on both devices.

I don’t know if that answers your question. :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have dual monitors and it works just fine? You can open multiple tabs on R2R, it's basically the same thing... just that you can view two tabs at once.
in other words ,go to library ,copy on one tab .
return to original tab and paste info ??

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in other words ,go to library ,copy on one tab .
return to original tab and paste info ??

Except that I logged on twice as opposed to opening a second window and sliding it over ('cause this dual monitor thing is new to me).

Jay

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except that I logged on twice as opposed to opening a second window and sliding it over ('cause this dual monitor thing is new to me).

Jay
If you are using a true dual monitor, then I believe you should be able to drag from one screen to the other, even if you logged twice. In fact I think you need to log twice.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Does anyone know if there are any issues, or special considerations for running R2R on two monitors at the same time? Does it just show me as being logged on twice?

I find that very often, I need to get a link from a library file or other post. With a single monitor, I have to navigate away from the thread I'm working on, find the copy I need and then come back and find that post and paste it in. With dual monitors, I can search in one window and keep the original post open in the other. Seems to work fine, I just wanted to ask.....

As I write this on my righthand monitor, my lefthand monitor shows just one login and that I am "viewing the home page".

Thanks,

Jay
I do it pretty much always and no problems or special considerations needed. I don't think you'll be shown as logged on twice either. Often a status is merely a "1" or "0". Logged on or logged off.

Because of the above. Status is either logged on or logged off (or any other status if possible). Whatever you're viewing is probably fetched server-side rather then client side, because it doesn't have to keep on tracking you live. That would be a rather costy operation server-side, for something which has no benefit to the user.
The viewing part is based on the latest activity and when a person refreshes that latest activity is fetched and shown. I checked this myself and it indeed does work that way.* I checked my own profile and it indeed shows "viewing member profile icryhard", rather then showing this post.

*Has been tested very quickly rather then thoroughly and could therefore be false information.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
Should be able to drag whatever program you are viewing to which ever monitor you would like it on. Shouldn't have any issues with web browsers. I used to use 2 monitors when playing certain games and have my web browser on the other screen.

Trying to figure out the visual here.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues for me. I'm actually impressed with how well it works. I can take a pic on my phone, upload it to a thread and before hitting "post reply", I can switch to my pc and hit refresh on that thread and my pic will be there ready to go, I'll then type whatever I want and post it.

I often open it up on two monitors when quoting multiple posts from different threads etc...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find that very often, I need to get a link from a library file or other post. With a single monitor, I have to navigate away from the thread I'm working on, find the copy I need and then come back and find that post and paste it in. With dual monitors, I can search in one window and keep the original post open in the other. Seems to work fine, I just wanted to ask..... Does anyone know if there are any issues, or special considerations for running R2R on two monitors at the same time? Does it just show me as being logged on twice?

And you are viewed logged in only once. No issues with log ins.

Are you also using multiple tabs in your browser? Or is the library you are using a different kind of program?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All,

Thanks,

Jay

Just tested, works fine!

I have R2R open on both monitors and was able to navigate, copy & paste, post, reply, etc. without issue.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
Easiest way in my mind is on monitor 1 open up a second reef2reef tab in chrome, click and hold that new tab and drag it to monitor 2. While still holding down on the tab drag it to the very top of monitor 2 which will make it full screen mode. . .

You may know all of this, but posting just in case, hope it helps.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Its fine. Dual monitors is the same as multiple tabs. You could even log into R2R in Internet Explorer and in Chrome and each have two tabs of each in all 4 of your (hypothetical) monitors and it wouldn't make a difference.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

each instance is its own user session.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back