Duc’s 220g

dtruonggwhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Recently upgraded to a 220g from a 75g. Just wanted to share my journey with y’all. Looking forward to learning new things from everyone.

During the process of upgrading, my whole family got poisoned by palytoxin that was released from my Palythoa colony. Most likely due to them being slammed by rocks during me adjusting the rock works.

Day 1 - Adding sand and rocks and rockscaping
3613f9c0d4636485bb26c07761550094.jpg

c0192a3b553b48c9cc17609273027aa6.jpg

fef6cdbd80074439dcb8ba6c40e86cf3.jpg

51805f35e0df65f557a1bc160058702b.jpg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful! I can’t wait to see it come along. I’m sorry to hear abt the poisoning. Can you share your experience? How did you know that was what made y’all sick?

OP
OP
dtruonggwhs

dtruonggwhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful! I can’t wait to see it come along. I’m sorry to hear abt the poisoning. Can you share your experience? How did you know that was what made y’all sick?

So after the first day of adding the rocks and sand everything was good. Until i started adding the water and ran my pumps. At this time my overflow height was adjusted correctly so the return pump was returning with a lot of micro bubbles. I am guessing these bubbles started popping and the toxin got into the air. That night I started getting severe chills and fevers. Let me tell you, these chills was no joke, its the type where you just can’t get warm. The chills were coming in waves, and it felt like it was coming from inside out. Anyways, so I thought nothing of it, figured I caught a cold or the flu. That same night, my two dogs started vomiting, and my family members were starting to get chills and fevers. So we thought okay, maybe it’s just a bug that was going around. However, the next day my girlfriend came to visit and became ill with the same symptoms within an hour of stepping into the house. Now i knew something was going on as you can’t really catch cold/viruses that quickly. This prompted me to fix the height of my overflow and begin running carbon. To be safe, we evacuated the house and ran air purifier for 4 days. I headed to the er because I was experiencing shortness of breathe and chest pain when taking really deep breathes. All in all, It was definitely my fault for not taking precautionary measures. I’ve had this colony for 3-4 years now and have never experienced such.

Symptoms we exhibit were:
Chills
Fever
Dry mouth
Scratchy throats
Metallic taste
Lethargy
Severe headaches
Shortness of Breathe
Chest pain
Blood in mucus

The dogs symptoms were lethargy and vomiting, they were also making very weird wheezing sounds when they breathe.

Hope this helped !! And guys, take precautionary measure when dealing with zoas/palys. Trust me, you don’t want to experience what I went through. Also, the medical bill won’t be cheap.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back