Duel 300 watt heaters

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you set up two 300 watt heaters to heat a 125 gallon tank and 50 gallon sump? Or is that pushing it.
I hope so, I have 2 in my 144 with a 30 gal sump. :)

IMG_20190519_194012_1.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! How do you have it wired if I may ask? I was thinking about adding an outlet to my thermostat so now I have the two plugged into the same thermostat. And mine would be in the sump. That would be ok?
Sump is fine, that's where mine would be it they would fit. I have mine set up using inkbirds

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know how the contoller would react if one of the two heaters fail. I personally wouldn't chance it and would invest into a second controller. Let's see what others might say or if anyone else uses this method. I am not a controller expert or an electrician but I am curious. :)
#reefsquad

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know how the contoller would react if one of the two heaters fail. I personally wouldn't chance it and would invest into a second controller. Let's see what others might say or if anyone else uses this method. I am not a controller expert or an electrician but I am curious. :)
#reefsquad
Haha I hear ya! I might just suck it up and but the 800 watt at some point.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That controller has a temperature probe attached and if the tank gets to hot it will turn off anything plugged into it. I have the same unit.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the heaters you need depend on several things:
1) Brand of heater a 300w jager can heat a much bigger tank than than a cobalt 300w almost double the size
2) Glass tank vs acrylic
3) Top on the tank or not
4) Internal return pumps or external
5) UV or not
UV and internal return pumps act like little heaters that are always on and heating the water some. Acylic tanks loose 50% less heat. A tank with a top has far less evaporation and less cooling from that evaporation. Some sumps have lids on on the sock and return area and some are open there also. This all has a major effect on how much heater power you need.
And yes inkbird is a good thing

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 2 smaller units, if one fails, the other can pick up the slack. The trick is, do they both turn on when the controller says the temp is down and the water needs heat. I guess if you set the controller to turn on at 78 degrees and have the heaters set to 80 degrees, they should both turn on. Right? You just need to check every so often to see that both of them are still working rather than having one failed and the other working double time. Like people who drive with one headlight and don't even realize that one is burned out. BTW, this was way more common in the days before fancy halogen or led headlights. :p Forgive the musings of an old timer!

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the heaters you need depend on several things:
1) Brand a 300w jager can heat a much bigger than than a cobalt 300w almost double the size
2) Glass tank vs acrylic
3) Top on the tank or not
4) Internal return pumps or external
5) UV or not
UV and internal return pumps act like little heaters that are always on and heating the water some. Acylic tanks loose 50% less heat. A tank with a top has far less evaporation and less cooling from that evaporation. Some sumps have lids on on the sock and return area and some are open there also. This all has a major effect on how much heater power you need.
And yes inkbird is a good thing
Interesting. They are the finnex titanium ones. I would be using a glass hood as for right now but may switch to net screens. And it's a glass tank.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 2 smaller units, if one fails, the other can pick up the slack. The trick is, do they both turn on when the controller says the temp is down and the water needs heat. I guess if you set the controller to turn on at 78 degrees and have the heaters set to 80 degrees, they should both turn on. Right? You just need to check every so often to see that both of them are still working rather than having one failed and the other working double time. Like people who drive with one headlight and don't even realize that one is burned out. BTW, this was way more common in the days before fancy halogen or led headlights. [emoji14] Forgive the musings of an old timer!
Haha! Nice way to put it. But that leads to another question. How can we test each heater as there is no on off light? Unplug one and let the temp get cold to see if it begins to heat up?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No on/off light? Really? Well, when they are on, you should be able to feel the heat from each unit without touching them.

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that lamp extension cord can handle 600 watts when both heaters are on? I'd use a heavier duty cord or a multi outlet plugged into the controller to be safe.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back