Wicks 125 gallon tank build

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure I follow. With a single pump there would have to be a T somewhere. Also, It Wouldn’t do any good to plumb two 1” returns and then reduce to 3/4” at the bulkhead.
I apologize for the confusion. The return pump plumbed to one 3/4” hole. Use the two 1” hole for drain lines. The other 3/4” hole used as an emergency drain. What I meant to say was that the two DRAIN lines could be plumbed independently instead of going through a T.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet so this would be a solid idea then! So maybe Herbie on one side or duel derasos
Yes, a Durso, Herbie, or Bean Animal are all possibilities.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the confusion. The return pump plumbed to one 3/4” hole. Use the two 1” hole for drain lines. The other 3/4” hole used as an emergency drain. What I meant to say was that the two DRAIN lines could be plumbed independently instead of going through a T.
Ok, that’s the way I understood it when you were explaining it to wick.

I currently have two 1” drains and two 3/4” returns all independent of each other. No T in my current system, but I’ll be changing that when going to a single external return pump, unless I decided to go with your idea.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would I be able to do the bean animal?

A Bean Animal uses three drain holes - you would put two of the drains on one side and the third drain (the emergency drain) on the other side with the return.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Bean Animal uses three drain holes - you would put two of the drains on one side and the third drain (the emergency drain) on the other side with the return.
So essentially it would be better to do Herbie on the one side then the emergency one on the side with return correct? And would I want my power head on the same side as the return to push the water towards the Herbie? Or towards the return. ( thinking pushing it towards the Herbie for more circulation)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So essentially it would be better to do Herbie on the one side then the emergency one on the side with return correct? And would I want my power head on the same side as the return to push the water towards the Herbie? Or towards the return. ( thinking pushing it towards the Herbie for more circulation)
That sounds like a good plan for the plumbing.

The flow will depend on aquascaping, corals, fish, etc. Normally I start with one pump/return high on one side and one pointed low on the other and then observe, but there can be a lot of variation. Try to avoid dead spots or having waste collect in.hard to reach places.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you do that, the 3/4 hole becomes the main siphon drain, and the 1' hole becomes the trickle drain, and the 1' hole on the opposite side is an emergency.

^^ you need to set it up this way in case of a clog in the main siphon. The emergency/trickle drain needs to able to handle as much or more than the full siphon drain.

I would grab some 1" to 3/4 couplings and use the gate valve you already have. No need to waste it

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do that, the 3/4 hole becomes the main siphon drain, and the 1' hole becomes the trickle drain, and the 1' hole on the opposite side is an emergency.

^^ you need to set it up this way in case of a clog in the main siphon. The emergency/trickle drain needs to able to handle as much or more than the full siphon drain.

I would grab some 1" to 3/4 couplings and use the gate valve you already have. No need to waste it
Will the 3/4 be enough for turn over for the tank? Just want to make sure before I plumb it! Lol

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And should I try to have the drain as straight down as possible to the sump?
It doesn't have to be straight down, but I'm a fan of as little bends as possible and using 45's instead of 90's to reduce the chance of air getting trapped.

Will the 3/4 be enough for turn over for the tank? Just want to make sure before I plumb it! Lol

Yes, it will be plenty.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have to be straight down, but I'm a fan of as little bends as possible and using 45's instead of 90's to reduce the chance of air getting trapped.

Yes, it will be plenty.
Kk and thank you for getting back. I picked up some 45s lol.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the sump I decided to use bulkheads to connect to it. I had to make a smaller connection as I think the holes are for 1 and a half inch, not one. Here's what I made!
20190616_164612.jpeg
20190616_164627.jpeg
20190616_164636.jpeg

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got it all together to test all my plumbing. Only had 2 minor leaks from overflow bulkheads. Small turn and all good. Getting excited lol
20190623_193528.jpeg
20190623_193535.jpeg

Back