Dumb noob mistakes I've made so far!

squidzilla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, here's the body count from my first few weeks as a reefer. I'm sure there are plenty more errors I've made, but these are the ones that first come to mind.

*not cleaning the debris from my Biocube's chamber 3 before getting the pump running, and then enjoying the clouds of garbage that would spew out at random

*filling my Biocube through chamber 1/2 and getting PLUMES of debris billowing through my return vents

*not dipping my frags, then looking at frags under magnification and seeing the horrors that were present

*not thoroughly rinsing my hands before using my phone. Salt water isn't shy about reminding you where it's been.

*weighing salt in an area where the inevitable spilled cup was a borderline emergency, instead of a barely problematic nuisance

*thinking that I could calibrate my refractometer with RODI water instead of 35ppt solution

*thinking that I could calibrate my refractometer with Nutri-Seawater, and then simply matching my water mix to that value

*thinking that my tap water---though a respectable 39 ppm--would suffice as my water source and not induce prolific levels of diatoms and GHA

I'll inevitably be adding posts to this thread...hopefully not soon!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back