Noob Asks Dumb Question About Sump Level

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby forever but never had a sump. AIO gang jumped me out. I stopped wearing their colors I guess.

So the aquarium is tuned to perfection. Quieter than a mouse fart. I have a concern though. None of my equipment is on yet, skimmer, algae scrubber, and reactor. Waiting for the ugly stage to start them. My sump has water moving, obviously, but the last chamber is getting a nice stagnant top.

Here is where my lack of brains and self awareness start. Can I lower the water in return pump chamber? Can I pull water out of that chamber and the level of the tank stays the same? I have a photo for reference. An added bonus will be if the pump shuts off it will allow for more room in the sump for the overflow water. It will just reach the rim if I lose power. It takes the generator about 35 seconds to kick on I think. I don't lose power often but some yahoo kid throws his dang tennis shoes over the dang line or some squirrel grounds himself to the power pole. Also, Thompson behind me has been stealing internet by tapping right into the line.

I think removing water from that chamber will help the water move a bit more and allow for more margin of error if I loose power.

sumplevel.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove any water from your system it’s the return pump chamber that will have the water level fluctuate. Remember that you will have to adjust your ATO sensor otherwise your ATO will just replace the removed water with fresh water.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I lower the water in return pump chamber? Can I pull water out of that chamber and the level of the tank stays the same?
Yes and yes.
The water line in your tank is determined by the placement of the weir/overflow. The tank level won't vary unless something drastic happens (you remove too much water or your drains all clog)

It also looks like the level in the sump is too high to begin with so removing some is a good idea. You can tell because the water level is above the weir on both sides (the side with the scrubber and the side with the sponge).

I like having lots of "overhead space" to make sure there's no flood when the power goes out.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I will bail out some water tonight. That should help! Yay me! Thompson has also been stealing cable from the Library. He's a dang menace.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove any water from your system it’s the return pump chamber that will have the water level fluctuate. Remember that you will have to adjust your ATO sensor otherwise your ATO will just replace the removed water with fresh water.
I like how you took me for my word how dumb I am. ;)

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I lowered it. It helped flow a tiny bit. Any lower then the weir was not taking in water, so this is as low as I could get it. Almost like an old trickle filter now. I might shove some floss in there one day or not. Thompson told me he would get me free HBO if I pretended to be his girlfriend at his uncle cousin's wedding. I told him no way I'm more of a showtime girl myself.

1000004823.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back