Dumb thought….. water change routine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeMoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NeMoo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2024
Messages
376
Reaction score
439
Location
North Dakota
What state or country do you live in
North Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved into an apartment and broke up the 75 gallon into two 25 aio and a rimless about 40 gallon breeder sized. Might sound dumb but just a thought when I had the 75 I feel like sometimes the tank looked better right before I changed water then after, but knowing smaller tanks can go south quicker, and for stability, would it be a bad idea to just change a gallon a day vs say 5 gallons every week or two? The two aios seem rather stable already with all the rock I had from 75 and some of the old water other than a little low nutrients which I was already sitting at .03 as a high phosphate reading and nitrates avg 5-15 in the 75
 
You're fine to change 1 gallon/day rather than 5 gallons each week. Many who setup automatic water change systems do just that; change a small volume of water frequently, instead of a relatively larger volume weekly, bi-weekly, or even monthly.

I hope that helps!
 
Last edited:
You're fine to change 1 gallon/day rather than 5 gallons each week. Many who setup automatic water change systems do just that; change a small volume of water frequently, instead of a relatively larger volume weekly, bi-weekly, or even monthly.

I hope that helps!
Thank you, I’m going to give it a try starting this weekend and see how it goes for a few weeks!
 
I moved into an apartment and broke up the 75 gallon into two 25 aio and a rimless about 40 gallon breeder sized. Might sound dumb but just a thought when I had the 75 I feel like sometimes the tank looked better right before I changed water then after, but knowing smaller tanks can go south quicker, and for stability, would it be a bad idea to just change a gallon a day vs say 5 gallons every week or two? The two aios seem rather stable already with all the rock I had from 75 and some of the old water other than a little low nutrients which I was already sitting at .03 as a high phosphate reading and nitrates avg 5-15 in the 75
I do 2-3 gallon water changes daily and it maintains trace elements and keeps nitrates and phosphates in check
 
If you believe the tank looked better before than after a water change, then not changing water for a while and see what happens is a logical experiment, IMO.

While I do think water changes are useful and do change 1% daily, there are scenarios where changing water is not preferable, such as if there are impurities in it, or if nutrients in the tank are very low.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new