Duncan coral growing new head?

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Duncan coral that has been in the tank for a few months now that has been closed for about a week. There is a brown spot between the two main polyps and I’m wondering if there is a new branch growing, causing it to stay closed. Any ideas?

C7EDE21F-E997-43AA-A186-7F8D46ECFE79.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not a new head, its very hard to see in that pic, but looks like the coral is receding on that polyp and the skeleton is showing through. In general the other polyps do not look good.

What is that coral lower in the pic? It could be stinging your duncan

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not a new head, its very hard to see in that pic, but looks like the coral is receding on that polyp and the skeleton is showing through. In general the other polyps do not look good.

What is that coral lower in the pic? It could be stinging your duncan
the other coral is also a Duncan. The issue started before that was added so I’m assuming that’s not it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try your best to get a more clear pic in white light if possible, I really can't see, it could be some little pest bothering it. The other coral looks fine, so I don't think its a water or light issue or anything like that.

Could always try dipping it if you suspect that a pest is bothering it.

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try your best to get a more clear pic in white light if possible, I really can't see, it could be some little pest bothering it. The other coral looks fine, so I don't think its a water or light issue or anything like that.

Could always try dipping it if you suspect that a pest is bothering it.
I moved the Duncan in attempt to dip and it is growing around 4 new heads around the base that I haven’t noticed, but the calcium base isn’t looking super healthy. I dosed my tank with a calcium supplement because it was down to about 350. I think I’m going to try and dip next.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back