Duncan coral not opening

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve recently added a duncan coral to my tank about 5 days ago and it’s yet to fully open. when i first got it it kinda opened up but wasn’t fully out.

my tanks a 35 gallon cube about 2 months old now i just tested my water today.

temp: 78
salinity 0.23
calcium: 400
akalinity: 10.9
nitrate: 50
phosphate 0.156
magnesium 1215
ammonia: 0

i’ve asked the person at the store and they told me it still could be acclimating but who knows at this point however my calcium and magnesium is a bit low and and nitrate and phosphate needs to get down, i’ve always done a 10% water change and i plan on doing a 20% for now on and see if that helps at all.

IMG_1482.jpeg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That salinity measurement...is that supposed to be 1.023SG? You wrote it as ".23". If so...read on below...

You've answered your own questions. A 50% water change with clean RODI water and salt will cut your nitrates to 25 and your phosphate to .078.

It is also possible that clean up crew members such as blue leg hermit crabs are cleaning up the base causing the polyps to close. Also not a big deal.

If it is being blasted by flow it will stay closed and lose tissue, make sure flow is minimal while acclimating. Direct your return flow somewhere else in the tank if it is constantly hitting the coral from one direction.

Do the water change and observe for the next few days, let me know how things are going over the weekend.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i’ve done a larger water change and i plan on for now on. My duncan seems to coming back however i don’t think it’s fully extended still the polyps them self just aren’t long and full like how they were when i bought it, It’s been almost a week so i’m not sure if I should keep waiting or what, i’ve tried to move it to a different spot with less flow and doesn’t seem to help.

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1512.mov
    36.7 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back