Duncan coral not opening?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my duncan coral has not been opening for the past week. When i looked today i noticed these little things on it should i be worried. Also looks like it may be growing new head as well ?
20181109_202120.jpg
20181109_202117.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my duncan coral has not been opening for the past week. When i looked today i noticed these little things on it should i be worried. Also looks like it may be growing new head as well ?
20181109_202120.jpg
20181109_202117.jpg
I've seen that sort of thing on my hammer corals before that turned out to be new growth. Could that be it?

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Duncan does this from time to time. I believe it happens when something is off a little and when new heads sprout. I do believe those are new heads. Just keep an eye on it. Your Duncan will be fine.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine goes through periods when it doesn’t expand. Not sure about the little white tufts. Maybe new heads maybe not. Just leave it and see.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always nice when people come back and update these kinds of threads. Glad to hear it was just some new heads! Updated picture?
I couldn't get all three but see the little guy underneath. The tufts at the bottom in the old picture was the Duncan spitting out insides maybe fleshy stuff to open up for the new head.
20181128_135634.jpeg
20181128_135623.jpeg

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried you can do a dip. But this can be normal.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is comforting to read. Mine has for the last 2 days looks like it's 'wilted' slightly, sucked in a bit and not opening like it was before.
I did just start dropping in some coral essentials power gro (2 drops for 200+L tank) and the next day coral essentials power amino (again 2 drops for 200+L tank). Hadn't tried this stuff before but thought maybe it's not liking it.

It was lush and pretty big beforehand and had been in the tank for many months so I'm hoping mine is just growing some more.
The last day or 2 I've not added anything just in case it was the new food it wasn't liking or adjusting to.

MarleyMoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is comforting to read. Mine has for the last 2 days looks like it's 'wilted' slightly, sucked in a bit and not opening like it was before.
I did just start dropping in some coral essentials power gro (2 drops for 200+L tank) and the next day coral essentials power amino (again 2 drops for 200+L tank). Hadn't tried this stuff before but thought maybe it's not liking it.

It was lush and pretty big beforehand and had been in the tank for many months so I'm hoping mine is just growing some more.
The last day or 2 I've not added anything just in case it was the new food it wasn't liking or adjusting to.

What ended up happening with your Duncan, DarkReefer?

Mine is doing this as well right now so it is nice to have other's experiences to refer to!

MarleyMoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ended up coming back from this particular incident. I did however lose it late last year unfortunately :(

Oh no! Well darn, I'm sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you were able to get another! ;) We spend so much time taking care of and watching these guys, it's hard when we lose one...

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Well darn, I'm sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you were able to get another! ;) We spend so much time taking care of and watching these guys, it's hard when we lose one...
Yeah was a little unhappy at the loss of that one as it was one of the first few corals I had ever bought.
It really put up with a lot from me and was so nice to watch when it was doing well.

Unfortunately not yet replaced it but I intend to some time!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back