Duncan coral swollen

Joanne.p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy sunday all! Long time lurker first time poster....has anyone experienced duncan coral looking swollen and puffy as in the pics? The 1st picture is how it looked when we first got it at the beginning of march and the other 3 are how it looks now. The pictures don't show just how massive the heads are, they are about 2 inches wide. My question really is do they look healthy or is there possibly something going wrong with them?? Thank you for any advice in advance
Messenger_creation_2e720aba-bdca-4476-b1db-23b89525218a.jpeg
Messenger_creation_fa5863c7-aefd-479f-a3e9-d6412222611f.jpeg
Messenger_creation_c55a882e-bf82-4be2-825a-d60ae4efc5ea.jpeg
Messenger_creation_5396b469-960b-4047-9679-dab8fa726274.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Joanne.p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, the duncan is regularly spot fed a few times a week and often catches things in-between when feeding the fish. Someone on another group did say that his do this when his is growing new heads to which there are what appears to be 2 new heads growing on the one at least so hopefully that's what it is

OP
OP
J

Joanne.p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our parameters are as below...

Temperature 25.8 c
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
PH 8.2
Phosphate 0 ppm
Alkalinity 10 dKh
Magnesium 1350 ppm
Calcium 400 ppm
Tested weekly :)

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! The second set of pictures doesn't look bad, but hard to tell. I attached a couple of examples of mine. They have been in my tank for about 9 months. I had to move them a few times until I found a lower PAR value and a lower flow area.

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joanne.p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! The second set of pictures doesn't look bad, but hard to tell. I attached a couple of examples of mine. They have been in my tank for about 9 months. I had to move them a few times until I found a lower PAR value and a lower flow area.

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg
Thank you for the reply, the last three pictures are how it is now the 1st picture where its all skinny looking is when we 1st got it. So when u say the second set of pictures don't look bad do you mean the last 3?? Yours don't look skinny either do they??

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, the last three pictures are how it is now the 1st picture where its all skinny looking is when we 1st got it. So when u say the second set of pictures don't look bad do you mean the last 3?? Yours don't look skinny either do they??
That's correct; I was referring to the last three pictures. I agree. I would not be concerned with growth and bulking up, I think that is a good thing.

OP
OP
J

Joanne.p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's correct; I was referring to the last three pictures. I agree. I would not be concerned with growth and bulking up, I think that is a good thing.
Thank you, I think I would be more concerned if it wasn't opening up. It's just I've not seen them look like this in the shops. There does appear to be 2 new heads growing so that's definitely a good sign surely. Just nice to get others opinions rather than assume its doin ok when it looks so much more plump than those in shops

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's perfectly fine. My Duncan will do that too and have fat tentacles. Funnily enough, bubble tip anemones do this too.

DebFerreira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, good to know that others have some that do this too :)
Make sure that your Duncan isn't getting too much direct flow. They can handle a fairly strong current but don't like being blown on. Mine looked like that till I moved it to a lower flow area.

OP
OP
J

Joanne.p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that your Duncan isn't getting too much direct flow. They can handle a fairly strong current but don't like being blown on. Mine looked like that till I moved it to a lower flow area.
Thanks for the advice. They aren't in any direct flow, they hav movement but it's minimal

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back