How often to feed Duncan

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a duncan coral he’s looking good i fed him today for the first time but how often should I feed him and is ther a way to tell if ther hungry or do you just have to guess
Thanks

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine never . In 3 months . 9 new heads. They will grow no matter what you do.
Do you have a picture of yours mine was really big and his tentacles looked thicker and now he looks skinnier I’ll show a pick of before and after
IMG_3850.jpeg
IMG_3863.jpeg

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours look great. You’ll notice some days it doesn’t look so good. It’s using energy for the new heads to pop out more and it will be fine the next day. Beautiful fast growing corals

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours look great. You’ll notice some days it doesn’t look so good. It’s using energy for the new heads to pop out more and it will be fine the next day. Beautiful fast growing corals
That’s great to hear thank you for the advice do you think ther will be more heads soon

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the non branching type, picture cutting a baseball in half and setting the flat side down. That’s the skeleton. I haven’t figured out how to frag it and because of all the new heads I stopped feeding over a year and a half ago. They do have great feeding responses but man do they grow.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in general once or twice a week for corals that feed . They need a chance to expel waste in between eating
Mine expells waste the night after feeding. It dosent keep it down long and just returns a pellet of partially-digested mysis. A little annoying especially because corals like favia and platygyra don't spit out same size pieces and they are much smaller

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the non branching type, picture cutting a baseball in half and setting the flat side down. That’s the skeleton. I haven’t figured out how to frag it and because of all the new heads I stopped feeding over a year and a half ago. They do have great feeding responses but man do they grow.
Yeah I just picked any Duncan I fed him yesterday and it was really cool when he closes uo on the shrimp and eats it I hope mine grows fast.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just picked any Duncan I fed him yesterday and it was really cool when he closes uo on the shrimp and eats it I hope mine grows fast.
Ya , feed a couple times a week and it will grow like a weed. A great coral.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya , feed a couple times a week and it will grow like a weed. A great coral.
Do you ever see your duncan somtimes randomly close and then open backup through out the day that’s what mine somtimes does I’m not sure why

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever see your duncan somtimes randomly close and then open backup through out the day that’s what mine somtimes does I’m not sure why
I think that's when it catches something to eat, that's what it does. It's the same when you feed it. You just didn't see what it got, all you saw it do was close up.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that, but it is more common to close for a day or two. As mentioned above, I think it is during growing new heads. Mine currently has 31.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that, but it is more common to close for a day or two. As mentioned above, I think it is during growing new heads. Mine currently has 31.
Ok I’ll feed it again in a couple of days and see how it’s going mine has 4 heads I’m pretty sure yours has lots

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's when it catches something to eat, that's what it does. It's the same when you feed it. You just didn't see what it got, all you saw it do was close up.
Yah that’s possibly it but I have no fish in the tank which I need to get soon and I’m not sure what It could’ve caught because I’m never putting food in the water other then when I’m spot feeding it.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah that’s possibly it but I have no fish in the tank which I need to get soon and I’m not sure what It could’ve caught because I’m never putting food in the water other then when I’m spot feeding it.
Pods?

reefer4speed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to feed once a week but as your tank establishes i stopped feeding my coral

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%

Back